Mx banshee build

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Richard2112 said:

I nees a new flywheel. Should I get A lightened flywheel or am I better off sticking with a stocker. 

Stock. The inertia will help keep momentum through turns so the motor jumps right back in to the rev. If you weigh over 120 LBS. you'll definitely not wanna do a lightened flywheel. 

Is there anything else I should look into while I have it torn apart

Depends on how torn apart it is, but in the interest of trying MX out and building a general purpose banshee...

Suspension is hands down #1, case saver, pro mod trans, VF4s, eliminate all the unnecessary shit, 4/1 rims and good tire selection, good controls, nerfs with race position pegs, adjustable axle, and basic maintenance would be at the top of my list.

Beyond that, a roundhouse swingarm, KC harness, drop subframe, gripper seat, 07+ YFZ brakes, gusseted chassis, and aluminum axle components and hubs can be added to the list but don’t offer as much return for the money involved.

Generally, 50-55whp over a wide powerband with comfortable controls and great tire/suspension setup will get you 90% of the way there. If you need more than that, you can drop another $5-10k into it, but you’ll never be at the advantage of the 4-stroke guys.

To put it into perspective, I beat my personal lap record at a small local track (48 seconds) that I had on my built MX banshee with a bone stock YFZR on the first hot lap that I put in. The last iteration of my YFZR build let me turn a 39.9 second lap and this iteration will be faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I haven't seen mention (maybe I just missed it) is a steering damper. This will help out IMO. I know tyler's yfzr could have used one when I rode it. But I will agree, riding that stock yfzr, I just felt more comfortable while riding it than I have on any banshee.

One thing I haven't seen mention (maybe I just missed it) is a steering damper. This will help out IMO. I know tyler's yfzr could have used one when I rode it. But I will agree, riding that stock yfzr, I just felt more comfortable while riding it than I have on any banshee.

100% good info here but unfortunately, You don’t have many good options for a banshee without getting into fabricating something.

I’ve tried a stick type before and it worked fine in the winter, but faded within 10 minutes during summer heat. That isn’t TOO much of an issue because most MX classes below A-class run around 4-5 laps on 1:45-2:30 tracks. Couple that with the fact that most people can’t ride for more than 10 minutes at race pace and the issue almost goes away.

I run a Precision Elite on my YFZR because it is about the best you can get. The issue is that they’re around $550, but they’re something I’d put on my top 5 list for sure. Since switching to it, I’ve grazed trees hard enough to tear knobs off the tires a few times and have never had the handlebars yanked from my hands. It feels the same after 30 minutes as it does when you just roll out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just out of curiosity I want to get opinions on wheel spacers. I pulled my front tires yesterday and found stud extensions and wheel spacers. I don't like the idea. But am curious on how they would hold up.
They wont. They are not good for anything. If you want wider, use a-arms. Spacers will increase arm pump from hitting bumps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk