Visual Difference Between OEM and Chinese Cylinders

With an online market that's flooded with knockoff copy's of OEM cylinders, and suckers that buy into them, I foresee a possibility that a future purchase of a bike maybe equipped with said junk. What does a visual observation look for when trying to distinguish between the OEM and the knock off junk parts? Is there any indication's or markings on the external surface of both cylinders that would aid in filtering them? I did a search for this topic and it doesn't look like its been covered.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kawa110 said:

I have a eBay top end kit. I’ll take photos of the cylinders and post them later.

Cool, maybe someone can throw up some of some OEM cylinders as well. I know there is a right side cylinder OEM NOS on ebay right now. It would provide good photos of what the OEM ones look like. 

I have read the exact same thing ^

Just use some good pistons with it as well.

ive also read that those namura's aren't that bad either and that its mostly here say

id never run them based on the fact that most people here do not run them.

Good observation, but from the photos Canadianshee posted his has 2GU on them as well. So we need more.

They must be taking the copies to a whole different level then. I’ve read Niche cylinders are OK with some cleanup work and porting. One of the vendors “OKed” them at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk