One hot mess

I'll start with how it was when my son and I bought it.

Decent condition overall. Cool head was off. "Spare" parts included two used pistons, one with rod sized hole in it.

Pulled cylinders, crank had one rod replaced, other is kind of sloppy. Blown side had thin repair sleeve installed, 64mm. Other cylinder had 64mm piston in larger hoe (65?). Head had 18cc domes. I can tell by crown that it wasn't run much.

Original pistons were Vito's S Stock, new are Wiseco.

So, I can either get it running as cheap as possible, or go all in with Driveline cylinders, ext. It probably won't be ridden much due to my health.

So, ideas on how to proceed. 

I have thick skin so asshole comments will just bounce back to you X2.

Id say the only ideas that you need are how much you are willing to spend without it hurting your feelers.

Driveline is local to you (lapeer to ortonville) so obviously you can just take all the stuff to lane and he can fix it up for you.  If your saying that you wont ride it much and its just gunna sit 

me personally, I would go the cheaper route.  Sounds like either way your gunna have to split the cases and have the crank touched up, bored cylinders and pistons and domes.  

bore- $100

Pistons- $180

Domes- $55

crank rebuild and weld- 150 is a guess? Your close to 500 there 

or spend 800 for the 392 and the cost to have lane nurse your crank back to health

so 500ish or 800+ ish (assuming the guts of the engine are all good to go) 

Edited by Ayesully810

On 1/25/2018 at 9:57 PM, Ayesully810 said:

Id say the only ideas that you need are how much you are willing to spend without it hurting your feelers.

Driveline is local to you (lapeer to ortonville) so obviously you can just take all the stuff to lane and he can fix it up for you.  If your saying that you wont ride it much and its just gunna sit 

me personally, I would go the cheaper route.  Sounds like either way your gunna have to split the cases and have the crank touched up, bored cylinders and pistons and domes.  

bore- $100

Pistons- $180

Domes- $55

crank rebuild and weld- 150 is a guess? Your close to 500 there 

or spend 800 for the 392 and the cost to have lane nurse your crank back to health

so 500ish or 800+ ish (assuming the guts of the engine are all good to go) 

I don't think I can bore the cylinder because of the repair sleeve in left cylinder. It's pretty thin and who knows what's underneath. The crank is sketchy at best. No way to know if any bearings were replaced. Could have gotten debris from broken rod, cylinder gouging. Should do like P.O. should have done. Junk the crank, maybe cylinder too. After seeing some pics of rod damaged cases, don't think I will trust crank as is. By the time I fixed it, could have probably bought new.

Prior to Jan 20 I could have applied a Presidential Solution'. Guess I'll fix correctly, but still as economically as possible.

14 minutes ago, Larry's Shee said:

I don't think I can bore the cylinder because of the repair sleeve in left cylinder. It's pretty thin and who knows what's underneath. The crank is sketchy at best. No way to know if any bearings were replaced. Could have gotten debris from broken rod, cylinder gouging. Should do like P.O. should have done. Junk the crank, maybe cylinder too. After seeing some pics of rod damaged cases, don't think I will trust crank as is. By the time I fixed it, could have probably bought new.

Prior to Jan 20 I could have applied a Presidential Solution'. Guess I'll fix correctly, but still as economically as possible.

wait, so is the motor apart right now or what? is the whole thing just in scraps?

Head was off when we got it. I took cylinders off because I knew from the hole in one "spare" piston it had blown a rod.

I could tell by two different color rods that it had been "repaired" , not replaced. 

The cylinder that blew had a repair sleeve installed, it's maybe.040-.060 thick. The non blown cylinder has a brand new 64mm piston in a hole that is bigger than 64mm. 

Betweenthe loose piston and 18cc domes with probably pump gas I'm sure it probably rattled like a MF. I could get a piston the right size for the larger hole, but I'm pretty sure that the Pistons being different size/weight the engine would probably shake itself to death in no time.

The more I think about it I realize there is no way around fixing it right if I want to reliably ride it other than in the yard.