What is this leak?

I would highly recommend getting smaller cc domes so you can run pump gas and not eff ur engine.  That can be done when you go to order pistons from a builder on here

He needs larger cc domes for less octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, spurdy said:

I am out on that one. For $40-$50 a hole I don't even mess with my own cylinders. Send them out and have them bored for the size piston I'm using. Done.

Pistons today are accurate enough they don't need to be fitted. Just double checked.

No i meant its possibly for him to assemble everything himself and save money.  Obvi an oversized bore from a builder of choice with new pistons is the way to go :)

• Like 2

Awesome thanks for the info guys, I will look into checking my bore. I will do some research tonight and try getting a hold of that tool tomorrow. 

Heres a pic of my head/domes

https://ibb.co/d0NwtQ
https://ibb.co/nOswtQ

what other pics would you guys want to see? I would like to run off pump gas but not if it's gonna hinder performance, whatever will run best.

also as for piston, if my cylinder checks out should I order same size pistons? Or should I still get them ported to a bigger size?

Awesome thanks for the info guys, I will look into checking my bore. I will do some research tonight and try getting a hold of that tool tomorrow. 

what other pics would you guys want to see? I would like to run off pump gas but not if it's gonna hinder performance, whatever will run best.

also as for piston, if my cylinder checks out should I order same size pistons? Or should I still get them ported to a bigger size?

I still see no signs of detonation.

You need to figure out how you want to set this motor up and go from there.

We can't tell you how to do that.

At this point we can't tell you what octane to run because we really have no clue what your static compression is. No clue what done size you have, what stroke crank you have or any info on your port timings.

You really should have a builder look into your set up.

6 minutes ago, Rawnold said:

that pump gas was hindering your performance because your motor was not setup for pump gas (if your static compression was truly 180). Put Larger domes in and pump gas can be safely ran and run like a banshee should. But spurdy is right, you need to find out what is in there. Dome size, stroke, cylinder bore, etc.

Edited by Ayesully810

28 minutes ago, spurdy said:

I still see no signs of detonation.

You need to figure out how you want to set this motor up and go from there.

We can't tell you how to do that.

At this point we can't tell you what octane to run because we really have no clue what your static compression is. No clue what done size you have, what stroke crank you have or any info on your port timings.

You really should have a builder look into your set up.

Thing is I really don't have the money to send my quad out to a builder right now or believe me I would. Plus I enjoy learning this stuff that way in the future I'm not clueless.

what do you mean how I want to set up my motor? I want my quad running as hard as possible with having the buy the least things possible lol.. 

if this isnt isn't something I can take on myself I will put this aside and save the cash but I really don't want to go that route.

30 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

that pump gas was hindering your performance because your motor was not setup for pump gas (if your static compression was truly 180). Put Larger domes in and pump gas can be safely ran and run like a banshee should. But spurdy is right, you need to find out what is in there. Dome size, stroke, cylinder bore, etc.

How can I tell my current dome size? What do I need to measure? & not sure what stroke is but as for cylinder bore I will look into it tonight and try testing tomorrow

How can I tell my current dome size? What do I need to measure? & not sure what stroke is but as for cylinder bore I will look into it tonight and try testing tomorrow

Send your quad out????

Figure what stroke crank you have and send out your cylinders ffs.

5 hours ago, Rawnold said:

A lot of the times they are marked.  pull the dome out of the head and look for markings around the outside edge.  ** IF that is a stock stroke motor and you were kicking 180 psi im guessing you have about a 19cc dome.  My stock stroke dune ported motor kicked 185 with 19cc domes and requires 110 octane.    At this point id pull the cylinders and pistons and inspect everything.  Honestly if that thing was really running that high of compression and you were running pump gas id probably tear the whole thing down and inspect.  Detonation can very easily and quickly kill bottom ends too.  You are going to have to decide how steep of a learning curve you can handle to get this thing back to proper working order.  You can learn most of what you need here but its not quite as simple as throwing parts at it when you start talking porting and compression ratios etc.  Your best bet may be to pull the motor and send it to a builder on here but at a minimum im guessing the cylilnders are going to have to go out depending on what the they look like.  the fact that compression iin 1 hole was 50 and there is no hole in the piston makes me think the rings/bore is damaged

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rawnold said:

Yeah I've been running 93 that's what the dude before me ran also, maybe that's why he mixed oil so heavily?? 8 oz marine per gal... 

heres a zoomed up pic for you guys.

https://ibb.co/e4zRtQ

im not too sure what mods the quad had the previous owner did not know much. 

Showed my buddy my reeds he said I need new ones, to take a pic of the inside of where my reeds mount to see if it has portwork and he'd reccomend what's best. I'll post the pic here as well so you guys can give me your thoughts.

Its really hard to tell in pictures but that pic makes it look like you have quite a bit piston to cylinder clearance.  It needs to be measured at the skirt but for some reason that pic from the top side sure looks big to me but its been a while since ive been in one of my motors.

6 hours ago, rubberneck said:

A lot of the times they are marked.  pull the dome out of the head and look for markings around the outside edge.  ** IF that is a stock stroke motor and you were kicking 180 psi im guessing you have about a 19cc dome.  My stock stroke dune ported motor kicked 185 with 19cc domes and requires 110 octane.    At this point id pull the cylinders and pistons and inspect everything.  Honestly if that thing was really running that high of compression and you were running pump gas id probably tear the whole thing down and inspect.  Detonation can very easily and quickly kill bottom ends too.  You are going to have to decide how steep of a learning curve you can handle to get this thing back to proper working order.  You can learn most of what you need here but its not quite as simple as throwing parts at it when you start talking porting and compression ratios etc.  Your best bet may be to pull the motor and send it to a builder on here but at a minimum im guessing the cylilnders are going to have to go out depending on what the they look like.  the fact that compression iin 1 hole was 50 and there is no hole in the piston makes me think the rings/bore is damaged

I will likely be sending out my cylinders to get ported and get new pistons while I'm at it. Since porting and all that isn't really something I can do I have no choice. But at least that way it will get done right, sully has recommended a few shops. Driveline performance and sand toys. Was gonna call them today to talk to the builders.

was also gonna order to vforce 4 reeds.

Just to be clear what I meant by wanting to do this myself was, get my bike back together and running. I know there's certain things you will have to go out of your way for like the porting and buying new parts and all that.. but at the very least once I have everything in my hands looking 100%, I want to be able to throw it back on there just like I ripped it off and fire her right up.

because you are already at 65.5mm id honestly look for a set of virgin cylinders to have ported.  No way im putting money into cylinders with at most a couple bores left when likely one of those bores is going to be used up this time.  If you are going to dive into this thing i would highly suggest splitting the cases and inspecting the bottom end.  You do not know the history because you bought it used so id make sure the bottom end is in good shape and the crank has been welded.  If not its all going to grenade eventually

I agree with rubberneck on the bottom end stuff. Once you have it apart that far, no reason not to go all the way. Then, when your done, you know what you've got.

As far as cylinders, I wouldn't be afraid of using those if you liked the way they perform. I have a dune motor by HJR and it runs like a top for the way it is built. Once it got out to 65.5mm and needed another overbore (had 0.012" cyl wall to piton clearance) I sent them to millennium to have the nikasilled. The same plating they use in many other cylinder applications. They nikasilled plated it back to 65.5mm and I put it back together. Wasn't inexpensive, but neither was putting that motor together and getting it set up just the way I like it.

And go buy a clymers manual. You're gonna need it.

3 minutes ago, rubberneck said:

because you are already at 65.5mm id honestly look for a set of virgin cylinders to have ported.  No way im putting money into cylinders with at most a couple bores left when likely one of those bores is going to be used up this time.  If you are going to dive into this thing i would highly suggest splitting the cases and inspecting the bottom end.  You do not know the history because you bought it used so id make sure the bottom end is in good shape and the crank has been welded.  If not its all going to grenade eventually

That sounds like a good plan, honestly I didn't plan on doing it right away there's a lot I want to do to the quad, powder coat the frame & swing arm, re weld stripped footpegs and other parts on the frame.. but that's all $$$$ and really I'm 21 going to school, I'm not swimming in cash you feel me.. if it's a must I will get to it, but I'd rather avoid anything that's unnecessary