Newbie To Mx

BansheeRider576

hi everyone... im 16 and and have a 2000 banshee with a few mods (listed) .... i plan to race mx this spring and have been doing a load of practicing.... im looking into definitely getting front shocks and a second set of rims and tires cuz currently i have 22 inch tires on the rear which i have been told are way to big for mx... but do you think it is a must to get extended a arms also? ((i do a great deal of trail riding on the side so extended a arms aren't really that practical for me plus i don't really have the money))

thanx

chris

i would also like to add that currently i have pure sport realitors on the rear of my banshee.... i love them for turns cuz i can go into a turn fast and my rear end just slides instead of gripping and causing me to flip.... I hear everyoen talking about holeshots and stuff for MX but i am afraid that if i get them my quad would flip more often considering that i have a stock axle, stock a arms and currently stock shocks..... Any recommandations regarding this topic would be great..

thanx again

Chris

All you gota have is a shee to race and you got one.The rest will just make it easier to race.The shocks a great help,if your still trail riding it then your right to think about streching it out.The holeshots do hook up,I like them and dont think they will mess you up in the turns any probable help alittle.

Since you're going to get another set of tires anyway, get some 18" tires. Turf tamers are excellent... cheap, lite and very easy to modify.You'll have to put a bigger front sprocket on to make up the difference. Also, put some 19" or 20" tires on the front. Since you're not going to be widening it, at least get it close to the ground and get the smaller tires for unsprung weight. That will help the stock suspension out some.

From the way it sounds, you have the right thing in mind and that is practice..... all the money in the world can't make you a good racer.

hey man i would definetly get shock but arms arnt a must. as for those front bandits i had a set and i thought they were great to untill u got my hole shot mxs (19inch) they are a whole different world!!! and as for going from 22 to 18 in the rear the quad will handle a whole lot different also like on jumps. the rear wont wanna bounce up and over and there no way u will be able to race with 22's there just to big. im 16 and just got my quad set up for mx also i plan on racing in the spring. Good luck bro

Thanx everyone you have all been a great help... I'm looking into getting getting a second set of rims with possible 18 inch holeshots onthe rear and 20's on the front... im also looking into getting some half decent front shocks something i an afford because at this point my stock shocks mine as well not even be there.. As far as the a arms go they aren'nt my highest priority... thanx once again

• 4 weeks later...

hey man, i raaced tihs season on a bone stock (handling) shee and didnt do that bad buncha 3rs a 2nd and a first. all u gota do is ride. wen u get the money you should definately upgrade if your planning on racing for a while but until you get the money just practice and youll be fine