Clutch/clutch lever issues

Hi all, I'm having a strange issue with my banshee. I just got it, and it has a new clutch. For some reason, when I adjust the free play in the clutch lever to the owners manual spec, it stalls when I put it in gear with the clutch pulled all the way. But, when I set the free play in the lever WAYYYY out of spec, it doesn't stall like that. (I'm talking being able to pull the clutch half way before there's any resistance at all) Also, no matter what I do, the quad jolts slightly and idles down when I put it in gear like an automatic car/truck. Any help is appreciated

Look where the cable attatches to engine. Push the arm towards the right till you get resistance. Are the arrows lined up?

Yes, and I don't know if this is normal but I can only push the arm about a quarter of an inch before I get resistance and the arrows line up.

Unhook the cable from the perch. Move the clutch arm on the engine case till it stops. The tip should align with the arrow on top of the case when you push it to its stopping point. If that's not happening, you will need to pull the clutch cover and use the adjuster in the middle of the clutch pressure plate to make it line up. Once that's good, you can set the cable tension how you want it. If it all lines up but you steel need excessive adjustment to make it not stall, it's probably time for a new clutch cable.

when I adjust the free play in the clutch lever to the owners manual spec, it stalls when I put it in gear with the clutch pulled all the way. But, when I set the free play in the lever WAYYYY out of spec, it doesn't stall like that. (I'm talking being able to pull the clutch half way before there's any resistance at all)

That's exactly backwards of the way it should be.

Unhook the cable from the perch. Move the clutch arm on the engine case till it stops. The tip should align with the arrow on top of the case when you push it to its stopping point. If that's not happening, you will need to pull the clutch cover and use the adjuster in the middle of the clutch pressure plate to make it line up. Once that's good, you can set the cable tension how you want it. If it all lines up but you steel need excessive adjustment to make it not stall, it's probably time for a new clutch cable.

What is the perch? 

Update: I've got the clutch cable unscrewed from the perch as far as I can without using a pair of pliers and the clutch arm is lined up with the arrow already, like without me pushing on it, it's already there.

Edited by Derpy Drifter

My personal experience, I have found sometimes that the actuator does not necessarily have to line up with the case arrows. I actually had to adjust mine to the right side of the case arrow to stop it from creeping in gear. Also, like as has been stated, a stretched cable will make it impossible to get adjusted right, they are cheap enough to change out yearly or so. Also keep it lubed. One other thing is the perch/lever combo needs to jive with each other to get enough pull