Powder coating cylinders and boring

fasstbanshee

Can you powder coat a cylinder in oven up to 400 Degrees after you bored it 80 over because machinist says no and the powder coat guy says it doesn't matter both are really good at what they do I just want to make the right call it's not an instant flash heat they put it in the oven and they turned up to 400 so it's gradual what are you guys think what have you done

• Like 1

That would make sense and I have heard that said. And I do monitor my temp in races and Sunday rides. During races my shee has gotten up to 230 degrees with no issues. And I run oversized radiator. But my cylinders look like crap they are original 2006 and I want them looking good with powder coating, this will be a good trial run at 80 over. I monitor the coolant temp with a trail tech voyager.

ill bet if you actually tested it, it would be minimal. the coolant jacket would still be absorbing the heat, and transferring it to the rad, the cylinders would not transfer much relative heat to the air with out surface area. the only part id worry about is "distortion, or relaxing of the casting, or sleeves. if your concerned, have em checked afterward.

ill bet if you actually tested it, it would be minimal. the coolant jacket would still be absorbing the heat, and transferring it to the rad, the cylinders would not transfer much relative heat to the air with out surface area. the only part id worry about is "distortion, or relaxing of the casting, or sleeves. if your concerned, have em checked afterward.

this sounds somewhat plausible. im sure most of the heat is carried away via the water but there would be some radiant heat dissipated through the exterior of the cylinders but how much is the question. since theres no fins on the cylinders I would say theres not much heat shed through radiation. how much of a thermal insulator the PC is would be the other question. even if it was a great insulator, im doubting theres much heat dissipation through the cylinder exterior walls anyways. so I would guess the PC wont make a huge difference in engine temps but maybe im wrong