Pops and sputters before power band

Dan7305

Ok, I posted this in the jetting forum, but I no longer think it's jetting. I really am not sure at this point.

https://youtu.be/SyopnBw_NHw?t=14s

You can hear in the video at 17-18 seconds when I go from barely on the throttle to wide open throttle. Given that I am holding it wide open, the only thing jetting wise that should have an affect is the size of the main jet, unless I'm wrong on that.

I bought the machine needing a re-build, so I rebuilt it with a F.A.S.T. trued/welded stock stroke crank. I had Herr Jugs do a port job, and bore the cylinders to start fresh and clean. I picked up a ricky stator DC conversion, which caused issues similar to this, but way worse. I put the stock stator back on, with a floated ground, and it got better, but is still struggling to get to the power band. I also have an adjustable timing plate set at about 3 degrees advanced.

I did a leak down test, and I went from 6 psi to 3 psi in about 50 minutes. Not perfect, but I don't think that's nearly enough to cause my issue.

Should I just start throwing parts at it? It has a Dynatek coil on it, which shows .5 ohms on the primary with 10k on the secondary, book says 7k, should I start there? My stator Ohms out great.

Anyone in the northern suburbs of the twin cities interested in letting me try a known good coil?

Stator is OEM, coil is Dynatek.

I was understanding that even at lower RPM, at WOT, the clip and needle only have so much to do with anything. Either way, while in the sad I moved the clip from position 2 to 4, or 4 to 2, whichever, leaning it out, and there was no difference in the way it ran. Tors is deleted.

I do have a cool head, 22cc domes as that's what came with it. No I haven't checked the squish, I'll look into how to do that.

Carbs are synced.

Last I checked, before break in, both cylinders were at 120 psi.

Air filters are clean, I haven't CHECKED the ground, but I did have the motor out, never painted anything, and it was all clean when it went back together.

Brought the plug gap down to about .022. My gapper only goes to .020, I could try smaller, but I don't notice a difference after adjusting the gap.

I'm going to double check that I moved the running the correct direction, and that I didn't retard it 3 degrees. While in there I'll check that side crank seal.

Any problem tipping it on the left side to not have to drain the oil to check the output side of the crank?

I've coated everything visible outside the motor with soapy water before during a leak down.

My plug wires have about 5,000 ohms each also, but that looks normal according to a Google. So I could find were automotive sources though.

I'm getting tempted to just send the $60+ your way for a new coil... I'd almost be worth it before ripping the motor down again.

I didn't watch the video.

Stock stator with "floated ground"...... are you 100% sure this was done correctly?

Dyna coil....... are you 100% sure it's good?

No tors?

No e-brake shit?

Crossover tube installed?

Float bowls on correct side?

Good ground?

These things are very simple. I'd be amazed if one of the above isn't the culprit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain I floated the ground correctly. The dc regulator is functioning still, I rode for a solid 4 hours at night running lights. So I'd say that's a good sign.

Dyna coil is suspect with 10k ohms on the secondary coil.

Tors is gone, aftermarket mikuni cable and caps, no leak at the caps.

E-brake is gone, lever and switch are there, zip tied closed.

Crossover and float bowls are correct.

Grounds should be good, I didn't paint the motor or anything, and the mounts were clean metal I both sides.

I'm leaning towards the coil.

If the pipes were plugged, I wouldn't expect the power band to come on at all.

Fixing a crank seal is pulling the motor apart again, right?

I have a trip to glamis planned in January, and I'm running out of time here in Minnesota to get a test ride in before it gets really cold.

Because of that, with my luck, I'd fix it, take it to California without a test ride, and have something go wrong out there.

I think I'll leave the leak till after that and then tackle it.