6.0 L Cheverolet

mrmatt

Tonight I test drove 2001 2500 Silverado tonight with 6.0 Liter V8. I have been wanting a PowerStroke for a long time now, but I'm just not able to shell out what they want for those. Anyway, I really like this Chevy and was wanting to hear the opinions of other 6.0 owners. I want to know if they have caused you any problems and how well they tow.

Tonight I test drove 2001 2500 Silverado tonight with 6.0 Liter V8.  I have been wanting a PowerStroke for a long time now, but I'm just not able to shell out what they want for those.  Anyway, I really like this Chevy and was wanting to hear the opinions of other 6.0 owners.  I want to know if they have caused you any problems and how well they tow.

i have a 2001 chevy ext cab 2500 4x4.i also have the 6.0/auto.i am generally pleased with the 6.0, unloaded it runs very well and will cruise easily ay 75mph and get 11 mpg.i pull an 7x14 foot trailer and the 6.0 pulls this easily.if you plan on pulling big trailers invest in the 8.1 or the diesel.i havent had any problems yet so that is good :D dont let anyone tell you different on the mileage...6.0 generally get 11-13 mpg the 8.1 gets 10 mpg and the duramax can get 13-16 mpg.as with most 3/4 ton trucks the faster you go down the highway the more gas you use no matter if its diesel or gas powered.those are unloaded mpg figures.

for towing, stick with the Ford Powerstroke or the Dodge Cummins. The Chevy diesel is an untested beast that uses a new style aluminmum block. Most companies have problems preventing the steel blocks from cavatating, let alone aluminum.

Why buy an untested product when you can buy the Ford or Dodge and know it will be reliable! Plus the Ford and Dodge put out more horsepower and torque!

well this can be where i come in a friend of mine has a 02 2500 6.0 we live in peoria illinois we tow 4 four wheelers and all the gear we can hual to the badlands (right around 200miles or so)and it doesnt think twice about it. the duramax is a some what untested engine but is reliable. i havent seen or heard of any that have many problems for the exception of a few minor things but what manufactor doesnt have this problem ( by minor i mean stupid silly shit not major shit like an injection pump). the 6.0 has a few tsb's but not all can happen. where are you buying from an induvidal or a dealer how many miles and so on. if its a dealer tell them you want VIS (Vehicle Inqury System) it can tell what was repaired under warranty only get u vehicle build and so on and if they wont do it get me the vin number and ill do it if you want to know

I don't like the 6.0L. They are a fairly underpowered motor, even for a full size truck. I have no doubt that it will do what you want it to though, just not very quickly. I mean, I have towed 24' enclosed trailers with my S-10 Tahoe. It did it no problem. But, it has 400 horseys under the hood. :o Pretty much anything new is a wise investment. I wouldn't expect much from the manuf. warranties. They are loking for anything to screw you and void it...

Thanks for the advise, I'll definately ask for a Vehicle Inqury System report since it is at a Chevy dealership. Yea, I agree that it would be better to get one of the diesels to tow with, plus the mileage is much better with the diesels. But I'll probably only hook up a trailer once or twice a month. As long as the 6.0 liter can handle it from time to time, I'm having trouble justifying the extra cost of the diesel. The dealer wants around $26k for it, it has $37k miles and just about all of the available options. Including On-Star, which is a real hang-up for me. I hate the fact that someone is watching over me and can tell where I am at all times, how fast I am going, and so forth. <_< The dealer said that it still tracks the vehicle even if I don't sign up for the service. If I bought the truck I would have to find a way to disconnect it. I have problems with these types of things. I do not even use the discount card at the grocery stores because the whole reason that these cards exist is to collect data on their customers. My other hang-up is the mileage. My daily commute is 40 miles round trip. My daily driver was an '88 F350 w/35" boggers. I was at the gas station every other day. That really sucked. I am surprised that the 6.0 is so much worse than the 5.3. I have talked to a lot of people at work today and the guys with the 5.3 are talking mid to upper teens and the guys with the 6.0 are talking around 12 like you said sandfool.

for towing, stick with the Ford Powerstroke or the Dodge Cummins. The Chevy diesel is an untested beast that uses a new style aluminmum block. Most companies have problems preventing the steel blocks from cavatating, let alone aluminum.

Why buy an untested product when you can buy the Ford or Dodge and know it will be reliable! Plus the Ford and Dodge put out more horsepower and torque!

*BULLSHIT*

I would for sure go with chevy. In wyoming all my friends have chevy trucks and have never had problem, i swear by the bowtie, fords fourwheel drive system licks balls, and i would match any chevy up to the equal ford or dodge, anyday, but i honostly trust chevy way more then anything else.

mrmatt: chevy does not put the 5.3 in a 3/4 ton truck so you cannot compare mileage on a 1/2 ton 5.3 to a 3/4 ton 6.0.chevy,ford and dodge all have problems from time to time so dont be swayed by bad experiences.go and test them all and get on some forums and listen to what others say about them.

Well.... I am not a fan of any truck so I guess I can say that I am unbiased. Unfortunatley I guess you are not..

In wyoming all my friends have chevy trucks and have never had problem

Good! That is probably why you are biased.

fords fourwheel drive system licks balls

What do you not like about a straight axle dana 60. It is a tried and true axle that is also put in the Dodge and Chevy. So if you are saying that the Dana is a horribly setup then you are bashing everyone. Sorry to say... but the Dana is the best!

The only thing left would be the automatic hubs (they all use them) or the transfer case (which most use the borg warner setup). Know something about your product before you speak!

i would match any chevy up to the equal ford or dodge

Then you would loose. The Cummins is well known for being the leader in performance. Didn't we just see a Ford with a Cummins do 11 something in the quarter mile? The Cummins is well known for reliability, gas mileage, and power.

The new Ford 6.0L puts out 30 more horsepower and 43 more torque. So I guess you loose there also.

The only thing that the Chevy wins at is the Allison transmission. The Allison is a well known tranny which should do wonders for the Chevy.

Before you spout, do your research!

I'm not gonna muddy up the water on the Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge thing. I've been driving Chevys (trucks) for most of my life and my family all drives Chevy. You drive what you like, they all make good products. My '03 is a 1/2 ton with 5.3L, it will pull a 14foot open trailer with 4 sport quads with no problem. I get about 17-18mpg average unloaded. My dad and brother both have 3/4 tons with 6.0L, they pull very well and they have had no trouble, they get about 10-11mpg. Unless your gonna pull really heavy trailers/loads, there is no need for the diesels, nothing against them, just that they are for real work. A lot depends on where you live and how you will use it. I can get by with a half-ton, others that live in hilly areas or pull real loads need a lot more.