Auto Trans 1-4 removal

What else do I need?

Just swap out the whole trans. The gears that are in there probably do have half of the dogs cut off, but some of them are probably angled too. The shift star is also probably modified to not go into 5th and 6th. you won't know until you tear it apart, why not just have a whole trans to throw in it and be done instead of guessing what all you need.

It's really a simple process. .. if it's a full override it shouldn't have springs on the fork shafts. A simple drum/star swap will have it acting like a stock Trans again. 90% of a override is in the modded drum.

^ Little more to it then that but that is fairly correct. However some guys do a few things that could mean the gear set is strictly over ride.

OP, Redline or CamATV can get you a complete Pro mod style trans for around $300 to your door. If your 1-4 over ride with manual 5/6th is decent you could easily sell it as a package and recoup that money pretty quick. Either way you will need to split the cases.

None of of my override transmissions duneable or full had anything done to the gear set other than every other dog removed and the ramp angle changed. The ramp angle is only changed to increase positive engagement and every other dog to increase engagement timing. A promo has every other dog removed and ramps cleaned up. Guess someone is going to have to explain to me what I am missing here? Remove the springs if it has them, replace the shift drum (if it's a full 6 speed) then the star really doesn't even need to be swapped. Someone wanna step in and explain why it's not a simple swap?

None of of my override transmissions duneable or full had anything done to the gear set other than every other dog removed and the ramp angle changed. The ramp angle is only changed to increase positive engagement and every other dog to increase engagement timing. A promo has every other dog removed and ramps cleaned up. Guess someone is going to have to explain to me what I am missing here? Remove the springs if it has them, replace the shift drum (if it's a full 6 speed) then the star really doesn't even need to be swapped. Someone wanna step in and explain why it's not a simple swap?

Isn't back loading the ramped gears what causes forks to bend? If you're back loading the motor and not shifting, then the drum is stationary. If the drum is stationary and the forks are being forced to move wouldn't they bend? The angled dogs must make shifting easier, but I've never seen a pro mod with them.

Has to be a reason for it.

the modded drum allows the fork to slide over hence the gear trying to come out. thats why duneables have springs on the fork shaft. im telling you a stock drum will have those gears working just like a stock tans. they will hold the gear in place. 

I've done multiple trans to say the least , you can not do a simple drum, star swap . You would need a new drum and two new sliders on rear tranny shaft . .if everything is in good shape I could convert it to a pro mod rather easily

This^^^

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk