Should I buy this bike. Seriously

JasonB

i wouldnt be in a hurry to buy the first thing you find. that usually ends in disappointment. take the time to find one that aint beat to shit

Take this advice, I got 2 rides on my "babied" bike I had bought last year. Got stranded, got home ripped the top end off and it was fucked. It sure was "babied with low hours". Take your time looking for something nice or do some homework and build a bike from the cases and frame up.
  • Like 1

i really appreciate all the advice guys. I passed on this bike and a bunch of others based off what you all suggested. The SS and few other really nice bikes in the For Sale section here are just a little more than i could sneak past my wife for a purchase at one time. I have built up a handful of other bikes and really like watching things come together. 

I went to look at a single owner 2006 SE bike tonight and ended up bringing it home. Its totally stock down to the fuckin pipes and carbs. Stock bore, stock stock stock. Upgraded clutch and aftermarket wheels/tires plus some ASV levers but otherwise its unmolested. Going to dig into it with a leak down and compression test tomorrow to see if i want to go 4mill before we drive out to Glamis in February. Feels decent powerwise but i imagine after 9 years it could use some freshening up. Came with paperwork and a stack of receipts for all labor and parts the Yamaha dealer did. Going to order up the Elka Stage3 suspension and +2+1 a arms next week. Fenders need some clean up and im going to pull the factory purple flame decals but not going to cut my plastics or bastardize this bike beyond suspension and some basic hp upgrades over time. The black plastics are my favorite color scheme. If the leak down and compression tests arent pretty i will start looking at porting, cool heads, timing plates, pipes, carbs, etc. 

Thanks again for the input guys im stoked to have this bike 

thanks guys. i like wrenching and the bottom line was if i bought one of the 5K or 6K monsters in the sale section i was still going to fork out another 1K or so in cosmetics to get a stock set of uncut plastics, seat cover, and other small items to get it to look the way i want. I dumped over 10k on my cr500 powered 250R build up last year. i dont mind spending money and im particular about how i like my bikes to look when they are 'finished'. Here's the 250r and the 500r i built in 2013 and last year. 

big bore 250R 

1_zps98fc7c3f.jpg

500R 

atc500_zpsztc1lj0e.jpg

Sounds like a nice one! Sure you'll spend more in the long run, but you'll get to put it together the way you want it. Working on them is half the fun.

Good choice, buying stock can be expensive but you will have much more fun on a bike you build yourself

Congrats on the new banshee. I saw your 500 frame on 3ww or a Facebook group (can't remember which) and wanted to buy but you're too far away.

Love the R's.

hey thanks man, i had it listed on 3ww and on the ATC500R page i made on facebook. Still not sure what to do with that page since its got 1600+ members and i no longer own a 500 haha. Ya i love the R's, weird to be making the jump from Honda to Yamaha