need help, run in with highway patrol and my bike is gone

I agree 100% theres just too much grey area here, i got buds with drag bikes and mx quads that i know for a fact theyre not registered, they had titles before they got turned into race bikes but all they do is race em now......what happens to those guys if they get pulled over?

Im still going with that fact it all went wrong with "sure officer, you can see my paperwork just cause you asked" People are all too quick to cooperate, he should of asked "why do you want to see it, im not driving it, you pulled me over for speeding in my truck?" and proceeded from there............

How many quads do you see for sale that people state up front don't even have a title? Tons! Reason being nobody wants to pay the taxes on a 10 or more year old bike when they have already been paid for. Most aren't even stolen, but titles get lost when quads switch hands to 10 different people over the years.

Exactly, thats what i mean, hes gunna need ta carry paperwork to explain that alone.

i know here in iowa, its not real hard to get a title if the thing is legal, ive done it, just gotta have it inspected by the DNR and he runs the vin to be sure its not hot, then you can go to the courthouse for ur paperwork,

This...but most people won't go through the trouble. Even if you have the paperwork, look what op ran into.

I got stopped cuz "the quad looked a little nice compared to thing pulling it " I was in my 88 s10 blazer and homemade trailer from a Toyota pickup bed had my shee in it.

Sheriff pullede over and said he stopped me cause the bike was too nice for the vehicle I was in,(probable cause?)

I don't have title just bill of sale, I told cop name of guy I got bike from he ran vin then let me go....

I got stopped cuz "the quad looked a little nice compared to thing pulling it " I was in my 88 s10 blazer and homemade trailer from a Toyota pickup bed had my shee in it.

Sheriff pullede over and said he stopped me cause the bike was too nice for the vehicle I was in,(probable cause?)

I don't have title just bill of sale, I told cop name of guy I got bike from he ran vin then let me go....

Sounds like profiling to me.
  • Like 1

That's an unlawful stop but Sheriff's are notorious for that. PD and Highway Patrol are less likely to do that.

He didn't ask for paperwork. They impounded it period. I had paperwork brought to try and get it resolved on scene. The vin tag won't give me problems as the rivets they use are special star rivets like on your car vin that you will only get from inspection station or a dirty cop. Even if I did need to show paperwork,I would have it so I don't care at all. After me telling the story of what happened and how it turned out for the better, don't cry when you run your bike with the vin not visible or ground numbers. If u get pulled,you will lose your shit. They don't give a fuck if you say its yours if you can't prove it. So let your pride get your shit taken from you, then act like you know the laws and watch them load it on a tow truck while they laugh at you. You won't win.

Edited by volcrano

I had a quad stolen from me a few yrs ago , it was kept at my cousins over an hour from my house. Cops did nothing. So I reached out to all my peeps with all the details of the bike and a month later I come home from dinner with wifee and the quad is in my driveway , still don't know who returned it

How can you really be mad at the cop. He is just doing his job. It isn't the cop's fault the vin wasn't visible. Just think, if the quad was stolen, and it was your quad and the cop just let the OP go because he had a title for another quad, how would you feel?

I understand your point, but last I checked we are innocent until proven guilty in this country.  I think the cop was being a prick because he could.  That's why I have my stuff in an enclosed trailer, they would have to have a warrant or a really damn good reason to get me to open it up.

• Like 1