DC conversion questions

That's a separate circuit now and a has to dump extra voltage to ground and your frame is not ground for that circuit
And if you're not using your lights it's constantly dumping extra voltage to ground ( creating heat). Where if you have a relay inline to take the stator off line when not needed

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 375hp banshees said:

That's a separate circuit now and a has to dump extra voltage to ground and your frame is not ground for that circuit
And if you're not using your lights it's constantly dumping extra voltage to ground ( creating heat). Where if you have a relay inline to take the stator off line when not needed

So grounding the reg/rec and negative leads off my lighting accessories to the negative battery is the proper way when not using relay?

And when your grounding to the frame a relay is required?

No (and im no expert) the ideal per most is not to use chassis ground at all. Which keeps it a stand alone circuit. The rest of the elec. ie coil, cdi...are ac and use chassis for ground ( as did lighting, before floating it). I assume for simplicity & not to conflict with a.c. & warranty... most say to stand alone
Everything will have to run back to batt. (+ & -)
Some used the relay for 2 things:
Not to run power wires everywhere ( up to switch & back) and iirc some used 1 to basically turn off lighting circuit when not in use.
Theres a write up on here somewhere.

In my dc conversion I went with a trail tech regulator/rectifier and according to their wiring diagram i need to connect the yellow from the reg/rec to the yellow comming from the stator. The yellow comming off the stator is the lighting circuit? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing a relay to eliminate the stator isn't applicaple in my situation? One last thing has me very stumped, trail tech instructions say DO NOT connect the reg/rec to frame ground. They say connect it to 12v battery negative, and to do the same with ALL devices on the lighting circuit. I've read people going with the frame ground approach and honestly I'd prefer this method but is grounding to the battery only necessary for trail tech reg/rec?

See link for trail tech's diagram & instructions https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?album_id=5818464202&photo_id=502715634244

Did you read what i said??? Thats exactly what trail tech is telling you... 

Both circuits are isolated one from each other.

Your dc circuit is isolated from the ground (frame/engine)

You can put a capacitor instead of the batt.

Look at the drawing!

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

8146a7198fec00b5b297330fd333416d.jpg

Hey Claude, thanks for your reply, i did read your post although I had no idea that when doing a DC conversion that AC was still being used.

You and 375hp banshees really helped me out in understanding why with my setup, which is an external 12v DC battery, the AC is still being used with the frame, while the DC current needs to be isolated to its own ground (battery negative) to avoid any problems or interference. THANK YOU to the both of you!

No where else I've read was it explained to me like that. My noob thoughts were that doing 12v DC conversion with a battery completely eliminated AC current from the system!

Lastly, does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to hook up a Relay to switch/12v battery? Seems like a good idea to incorporate one, would've been nice if trail tech had some more info on that.