Filters

I wouldn't waste your time running outerwears on a foam filter. The sticky filter oil will transfer to the outerwear and since the outerwear is a fine mesh screen all the dirt will collect on it and plug up. Foam filters are progressive filters. They start out coarse on the surface and get finer the deeper you get in to them. That way most of the dirt is trapped on the outer layer and it will still allow air to flow though and not plug up. A plugged up outerwear on the surface is just going to choke your banshee. Make sure to oil all layers of a foam filter. If you don't oil the outer most layer you might as well not even have it on there because dirt will go right through it.

Edited by jbooker82

Thanks jbooker.  What about 4" vs 6" filters?  I run the 4" K&N's w/ outerwears currently and jetting is really good.  If I ran a 6" foam filter, would I potentially need larger jets? 

Thanks jbooker.  What about 4" vs 6" filters?  I run the 4" K&N's w/ outerwears currently and jetting is really good.  If I ran a 6" foam filter, would I potentially need larger jets? 

I wouldn't think so if your current filters are not restricting air flow. In really dirty environments the more filter area you can obtain the better. If you get longer foam you might need an angled filter base / flange. I couldn't tell you about that with stock carbs because I haven't ever ran them.

I use 10 deg K&N's but thats with 33mm PWK's and an angled one piece boss billet intake.

the 6" I'm looking at are angled.  The part # changes to UP6182AST for the angled ones. Here is a link to them although I'd prob order through Summit so I can avoid shipping and return them if they didn't work for any reason.  They don't ask questions

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-2-Stage-Angle-Pod-Filter/dp/B001KO6KS6

the 6" I'm looking at are angled. The part # changes to UP6182AST for the angled ones. Here is a link to them although I'd prob order through Summit so I can avoid shipping and return them if they didn't work for any reason.

They don't ask questions

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-2-Stage-Angle-Pod-Filter/dp/B001KO6KS6

Angled is gonna be much nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

In any real dusty environment your gonna have to clean ANY filter ever ride or two. The coal region is the worst place to ride as far as dust/dirt. Uni filter are far superior to k&n for protection in fine dusty shit.

I recently been using a s&b filter with s&b oil on my turbo bike with good results thus far. But first sign of any dirt getting past, its in the garbage and back to uni.

update. My s&b filter are in the garbage. Back to uni's. Only filter that seems to work in the coal.

What uni filters are you using? Mine clogged up in a few hours to the point my bike wouldn't idle.

The dirt didn't get through, but it just turned to mud on the filter.

stage 2 with outterwear. Never had a problem with getting clogged up. But i clean my shit ever ride or two.

stage 2 with outterwear. Never had a problem with getting clogged up. But i clean my shit ever ride or two.

Okay I'm gonna give them a shot. I ordered those shit durablue from Dave at east coast and sold them the same day I got them because they weren't even close to fitting my carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk