What's the max psi compression for 91-0ct pump gas @sea level?

I'm gonna freshen up the top end and wanted to know what is the max compression in psi that I can safely run on 91-octane pump gas at sea level? How much shaved off the stock head would achieve this max psi? What size domes would this be if I were to go the cool head route? Does a cool head help in keeping the temps down, or is it more for flexibilty in changing domes for compression for different fuels/mods? Thank!

I've ran nothing but a stock head. The first one was stock, the second I had milled 30 and now the one I have now is my original set up to run my 4 mil crank. Reliable and no worries about I ring seals. Plus you can't tell its packing a lil more heat than it looks.( also noticeable difference fr milled to having the head milled)

Edited by 67banshee01

Agreed....i ran a stock head that i milled .030" off on my stock stroke setup and i run on a stock head on my 4mil too. It's cut for the additional stroke of course. I love how it never leaks like my "poor design" cool head did. Don't know why people don't like the stock head. Just because its a stock part, doesn't make it bad. And just because a part is aftermarket, doesn't make it good or better than a OEM part. To the original poster, you could have your stock head cut for cheap and pick up some power.

Apparently the stock heads cause overheating at high revs but ive had no problems using them at all I actaully prefer stock and the metal gasket instead of sorting out o-rings. Only advantage is a coolhead can switch out its domes and is made of almunium

Just to clarify, factory heads do not cause overheating and any such claims cannot be met with any credible or quantitative data to support the claim.  In our experience in cutting the OEM Banshee heads for the last decade or more, the cut or dimensions make  big difference in how much heat transfers to the engine and how much goes into the exhaust. 

Factory Banshee heads are all Aluminum. 

It should be worth noting that Yamaha deleted the primary cooling passage and primary source of heat!.... The exhaust port!  They stuck a plug in the bottom and called it a day! 

We never did commercially offer "just a trim" on the stock heads for a reason.  If you are going to take the time and effort to cut the factory head, please do it right and improve it while you are there.  I don't believe we ever had a call to say our head work did nothing to improve performance.  However, we have never just "shaved" a head for a customer so that might not be a good comparison. 

Brandon

Mull Engineering