Time to start my build thread

Hey guys,

I don't really post a whole lot around here but I am always around the forums, usually finding answers by searching. I've had an 87 Banshee for about a year now and I think it's about time to start a thread for my build.

I don't think this is the usual build, but I'm going to post my progress as it happens. A little background on it, I bought it last year for $900. Dead stock but in pretty beat, worn out shape. This is what it looked like.

1780694_10202050067588032_748981576_n.jp

After getting rid of the awful graphics, cutting the fenders, mounting up my paddles and razors, adding Toomey T5's and a few other little things, it looked like this. 

IMG_1679.jpg

I took it out just like this last president's day, only to find out that I had less than 50 PSI of compression per cylinder. When I pulled the top end off, I found that I only had one ring on the piston, which I've read is very common with cast pistons. The original owner bought it new and said that he was fairly certain that it had never been rebuilt. I'm still skeptical. After doing the top end, and adding VF4 reeds, I put it back together and have been riding it ever since. The crank is quite worn, but everything on this shee is. I haven't done much since purchasing it. Mostly because I moved up from a stock 250R and it is still quite fast to me. The only thing I have done in the recent past was pick up some ITP Sand Stars on these ugly ass ITP C series rims. I also plasti dipped my tank and radiator shrouds, but only to get a temporary look at a possible color scheme. Here it is as she sits currently:

IMG_4077.jpg

I know, those rims are lame as hell. Already got some on the way to replace them.

Anyways, with all this being said, I am making a build thread to keep track of what I do. I think this may be a bit different than most builds because before I do anything with the motor, I will be tearing it down to the frame for powder coat, replacing all bearings and bushings, suspension, and attempting to transform this old shee into a respected, newer looking, sleek fox like she is meant to be. 

Also, this will mostly be an operational build. I fully intend to be riding my shee during the times in which it isn't torn down for something. For example, I have no trips planned right now, and this is how she sits:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Anyways, I guess that's enough for an opening post. Hopefully some people are interested. If not, I'm interested so y'all can deal with me.  :shrugani:

Gravel, it was pretty rough although the pictures don't really show it. The plastics were cracked on the front fenders and the rear plastics are aftermarket and fit pretty shitty. Everything else is just worn out. The J arm bushing and ball joints are scary. I can wobble the front tires side to side a lot. The swinger is crunchy, chain is shot, etc.

It won't be too much hacking I don't think.

Tricked carbine the plasti dip is already gone. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Plasti dip is today's duct tape. Lol

You'll get it sorted out, you can even buff that white plastic to look like new.

Maybe some polish on the C series wheels and pipes. Plus if those wheels were polished, you could sell them much faster if they were something you weren't really diggin' on.

• Like 1

The C series rims are being replaced by some black DWT A5 rims that should be here real soon. I definitely plan to polish them up and send them on their way to a new owner. I picked up rims and tires for $150, so I'm hoping I can sell the C series rims for a decent amount and pay for some of the Douglas wheels.

Gravel I agree fully! I must say that the reason for this build is I have three 250R's all in mint stock condition, and I've never been able to build anything to my own personal desire. The 250's belonged to my family, and we have done all of them down to the frame. But I was never allowed to modify them.

In other news, I have a temporary mount made up for my LED Light pods. Just simple $40 ebay ones. My buddy owns a machine shop and is going to CNC some billet mounts to eliminate the included mount.

7f75313ba739368141c45800af4beac1.jpg

Right now they're just on a stock stator and no battery. I'm going to do the DC mod. Haven't decided if I want the battery or not.

Will do man. I started it up with the one installed light and running it on AC is terrible. It works, and I'm sure when riding it wouldn't be too bad, but idling is pretty bad. 

I need to figure out what to do with the stator and regulator rectifier. I looked at the Race Tech stator but they don't have a kit with the round plugs. Can I just swap those out easily? I don't really want to hack up a brand new stator though. Can I float the ground on my stock stator? Really not too savvy with electrical.

What's ebay?

Sent from my Toy Hauler at Glamis

my buddy has those same lights running of a regular Atv battery independent no stator and just charges before every glamis trip and last more than he needs it to.