Building Athena engine, need input

Pritchard

Tried to call Redline 3x today. two busy signals and a constant ring. Ill try again tomorrow to reach Cam. 

As far as the recent additions to the thread, I don't want to make a foolish mistake haha, & yes I have purchased all items besides the Athena kit from ebay or local Yamaha dealer. Other things done to the quad but this thread was suppose to be just about helping me build the engine to pull on the 450's. Virgin jugs and pistons give me a blank canvas to upgrade. I want to keep trans and crank stock until something major breaks. Right now Im looking for jug,piston, and carb ugrarde.

• Like 1

at to the 32;1 comment, I will always mix 20;1 like the stick says next to the gas cap as long as its not synthetic. My klotz is 100% benol with race fuel. Michigan has 4 seasons so outside changing jets ya need to be consistent on somethings.

Tried to call Redline 3x today. two busy signals and a constant ring. Ill try again tomorrow to reach Cam. 

As far as the recent additions to the thread, I don't want to make a foolish mistake haha, & yes I have purchased all items besides the Athena kit from ebay or local Yamaha dealer. Other things done to the quad but this thread was suppose to be just about helping me build the engine to pull on the 450's. Virgin jugs and pistons give me a blank canvas to upgrade. I want to keep trans and crank stock until something major breaks. Right now Im looking for jug,piston, and carb ugrarde.

Yeah Cam can be a little tough to get a hold of. Trying myself. I guess when you're in high demand you have to focus on the bench work :)

Good luck

Troy

stock crank as in bone stock unwelded?

Ok change in plans. After much research the Athena kit was not what I thought. 

So here is what I have; 100% stock piston, jug, crank, and gearing. First time opening this engine up. Want to run race fuel, +4 timing, t5 complete pipes, upgraded cooling, 28pwk's and vforce4. I have been told that a huge piston will not equal big power. So how to I pull the most power? Port and polish on 64.00 or go larger? I think the first thing to go would be the crank and don't want that project till next winter. So how big is to big and where should I send the jugs and what style port? I ride ice circle track to sand dune drag so it has to be versatile. Thanks guys  

Just my opinion.

If you're going to spend the money on port work you should also invest in a long rod crank. Trued & welded.

Did you ever reach Cam?

If not keep calling. He will advise you from start to finish. Seriously he's the one stop shopping experience.

i dont understand athenas logic. they spend all this time making a new cylinder and the best they could come up with is enlarge the bore to 68mm and use it on a 54stroke. thats about the worst thing they could have done. should of kept it at 64mm. from pics it looks like they have the ass backwards transfers like stock cylinders. if they would of used some common sense in the design im sure they would sell quit a few sets