Clutch is shot? Or something else?

87twin350

Hey guys, last trip out to the dunes I was running up and down the hill and when I went to pull in my clutch, the lever was useless, and the clutch wouldn't engage. It felt as if the cable had broken or something. I limped it back to camp with no clutch, and in the morning I did a little bit of investigating.

First off, forgive me if I'm a little unfamiliar with my terminology and what not; I'm really inexperienced with clutch maintenance. 

I followed the clutch cable down to the engine and when I pull the lever, the arm on the engine moves back and forth, so the cable is not bad. I then tried to adjust the clutch cable a few times and got some intermittent use out of it, but after maybe three times of using the clutch, it stopped working again. 

So my question is, where do I begin here? I am perfectly capable in fixing the problem, but I just don't know if it's the clutch or something else? Does anybody have any experience with this sort of problem?

I did a search before I posted this and didn't see anything that seemed to describe what I experienced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yea I meant fibers. I use Barnett steels. I cant seem to find out which oem clutch is the "583", and I'm not at the shop where I can look at the package. I don't know if the FZR is the one we run with the 8 plate, that may be the 7 plate or 10 - 12 plate, can't remember. I think any will work through. Just have to adjust the pancake bearing accordingly for the thickness.