2 stroke VS 4 stroke

camatv

The problem in most conversion cases is vibration. I have ridden 4 Cr500af's and was not impessed... First off the CR motor sucks compared to the kx500. My 96kx500 is vibrating sucker and those af's are so much worse. I bought 2 steel framed 04 yz250's (killer deals) with the idea of building a monster sf500 that handles. I took the nicer of the 2 YZ's a couple times and wow that little ported yz rips and has almost zero vibration. The bike feels a good 40lbs lighter than the kx5 and my vision isn't blurry after getting off the yz! So I scrapped the 500 project. I ordered a ESR345kit, 09yz450 SSS forks, 40mm smart carb, 09yz450 rear shock, swinger and linkage. Waiting on pc and suspension work to put it back together. Can't wait to see how it runs... It might be a interesting motor for a quad!

No manufacturer has the nuts to do this but a new 450 2 stroke quad with fi in a mx frame might just demolish the current 450's. The amount of torque and usable power my kx500 produces is unreal. I think any of the manufacturers could fix the vibration issues and make a 450 version of that motor. It would be lighter, faster and cheaper to fix then the 4 stroke 450. Who here wouldn't buy that new yamaha?

No manufacturer has the nuts to do this but a new 450 2 stroke quad with fi in a mx frame might just demolish the current 450's. The amount of torque and usable power my kx500 produces is unreal. I think any of the manufacturers could fix the vibration issues and make a 450 version of that motor. It would be lighter, faster and cheaper to fix then the 4 stroke 450. Who here wouldn't buy that new yamaha?

+1 on this idea and if anyone does this it must be yamaha. can they ignore the emission aspect if it is a offroad only machine?

I really don't get Yamaha. They build the one of a kind Banshee that still rules the dunes discontinue it, start the UTV game and now get killed by Polaris and can am and they still release warmed over 10+ yr old "new" yz 125 and 250 2stroke dirtbikes. Innovative at times yet stagnant! Potentially the best manufacturer yet.... they watch while Polaris of all companies builds a better UTV. They sitback while countless 2 stroke guys now build their own bikes and KTM now owns 2stroke dirtbike sales. They release old as shit designs and rarely upgrade.

How about a tuned down r1 powered utv? Maybe some upgrades on the YZ line? They started the 4t craze.... Why not inovate again and bring in a new di or fi 450 2stroke dirt bike and atv? Anyone with half a brain can see that a bigbore 2stroke would sell. Hell I have 4 buddies that bought/built their own modern version 500 2stroke bikes and have 3 others that ride 500's. Yamaha needs to step up.

Never understood why yamaha let polaris walk on by with the RZR. They kicked off the performance side by side market after people got tired of gators and Kawi mules. When side by sides took off it was the Rhino that guys were hopping up. Polaris saw what was happening and figured they would take it to the next level and they were ready for a fight. Instead yamaha laid down and now they have the all new Viking which isn't half as nice as the polaris ranger.

i would rather have a 3 cyl injected turbo/ or supercharged 2 stroke over the apex anyday..  similar power but i'm positive the 2 stroke would take the abuse much better..  its proven time and time again in the snomo world.. 

i also thought about the esr 300cc yz250 engine.  BUT the ktm seems like it MIGHT be better overall.

i personally grew up on a 250r i loved it but i will never own another one.  way to much $$$ if you hurt it bad.  and if your riding it harder than a grandma sunday driver  its going to break.  and after having the outlaw i already know what the absolute best of the atv world is as far as a rider bike..   i really feel the ktm/yfz would make me happy as far as wanting a single 2 stroke performance quad..   i personally really like the skinny lighter feel of the yfz, trx, ltr chassis.  if i could find the ltr chassis for a reasonable price and then use ktm 380 that would be killer..