Ground Up Build

kenyounot

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Just started a my career so finally I have enough money to do something. I needed something to do over the winter months and if I bought a banshee knowing me I would've replaced every part on it anyways. So I decided to just build one from ground up. Just purchased a frame from eBay it will be here Friday. Reason I made this topic is because my mind is in scrambles on where to begin and was wondering if someone could just in their own opinion tell me where they would start and what to look out for. This will also be a build thread that will be updated frequently as I like to spend my money on ridiculous things. Thanks

• Like 1

Start out by making a roller. Get your a arms, swingarm, shocks, steering stem, etc. Also give us an idea what kind of riding or racing youre wanting to do? That will bring in the guys that will know which way to steer you as far as motor wise. Also welcome to a community of know it all assholes. You get to like us sooner or later. Lol Welcome to BHQ.

• Like 1

Strictly a trail bike, obviously there were better option on the selection of bike but I've been a fan of the that 2 stroke smell for a long time. I was planning on doing what you said getting the frame off the ground my only concern is buying everything new is all the bolts and fittings from what I understand aren't included. I know they sell bolt kits but do they sell them that extensive? Also as I said it's going to be a trail bike so I was hoping on advice as far as what lengths for the swing arm and a-arms.

Nah banshees make very good trail bikes. Site sponsor alloyboltz.com has all the bolts you will need and they are stainless and polished so they look very nice. Seen a lot of guys running plus 2 a arms, a good brand, with a decent set of shocks, works, fox, elka, etc. That will make a nice suspension set up. As for swingarms, a lot of guys like +4 swingarms in the trails. Recommendation on swingarm would be to stay away from stock style carrier setups, no there isnt anything wrong with them but the round styles look nice and make adjusting the chain a breeze. Motor setup in my opinion for trails is serval cub built by a site sponsor. That will run extremely well

If you don't really have a budget you can make a pretty badass trail bike. Give us some more info on what kind of trails. Are they more technical ones? More wide open fast passed ones? Also what motors have you rode before? 10mil serval on pump gas might be the motor for you. The more info you give us and your goals of what you want out of the bike the better we can guide you

• Like 1

Well, where I live daily its technical woods trails(hills, tight trails), but atleast once a month I take a trip to the pine barrens and that's wide open sand. And as far as what engines I've been on, only stock. My goal for the engine would to have 2500 into it including the price of a used engine if thats possible.

Yeah well I'll worry about that when the time comes lol I think my plan is once I get the frame just post my budget every week and get some ideas from the forum members on what to get next. Id like to just build it as the parts come so I don't have shit laying around. So I guess we'll start now. Monday I'll have 1100 so where do you think I should start so once I get them they can just go right on the frame?

I have a good trail banshee. I love it. Its getting faster and faster every time I ride it. I'm very happy with it right now. New 4 mill ported motor on a Jarm banshee with wider arms and Elka Stage 3 shocks. I can't hang with the 450 dirt bikes though. Even the new 450 quads are hard to hang with on the trails I ride. Take your time. Ask lots of questions.

Yeah im hoping the engine I buy will be complete with stator if not I'll take your advice and buy used. I just ordered a bolt kit and every other bolt that wasnt included with that one. I really lack in experience with brake setups and suspension as far as the components needed. Can anyone help me out with that exactly i'll need to get this thing rolling. Obviously I know the basic big items but as far as the little things that might not be included in the kits.

In my opinion i would get a nice suspension set up. Buy a bolt kit from alloyboltz and pay attention because some of the larger bolts are not included. example, a arm bolts, peg bolts, swingarm pivot bolt.  Get a decent set of arms. Long travels are nice, but standard travel are more cost effective. Decent round house swingarm, try and stay away from ebay swingarm, just a heads up. JDS and Stellar make some nice arms. +4 is ideal for trails. If your budget allows it elka long travel all the way around is a great setup. There are some cost effective sponsors that can hook you up with some nice LT arms. Ive always liked the hiper tech 3 wheels, those are sick on trail bikes but they are quite pricy. 

I'm going all out lol. I just ordered stage 3 Elias front and back with lone star +2+1 a arms. As far the braking mechanism all I need is the calipers and hubs correct? Still deciding on an axle. How do I take advantage of the forum sponsors? Do they offer discounts off of the forum or they are just recommended to be used?