Shifting problem

So about 2 weeks ago I found a 2000 banshee on Craigslist for 900 $

51ba315401e8103d23abd9105ab7f8b5.jpgac1f57d39864ccf7f8399e9c9c556c23.jpg

I jumped on a deal and bought it the same day . My dad delivered it to my house the next day ..

The guy told me the reason it was so cheap because it had problems shifting .. Other then that it idles as it should. he told me he was going to fix it but the list interest so he put it up for sale .

I got home took the clutch cover off and noticed it had a broken eccentric adjustment screw... And half of it was still inside the case ...

So I was wondering is it possible to get it out without cracking the case open?

Was it worth the money I spent on it ?

The plastics are rough cut and were done by him .

There's about $900 worth of wheels, tires, pipes, helmets, boots and fuel can, so you got the base bike for FREE. Good job.

By, "half of it was still inside the case", I am hoping you mean the threaded part that is still screwed inside the case. You need to account for all the pieces. The 2 pieces of the eccentric bolt, the jam nut, and the bendover locking washer. To get the broken piece out, use a sharp pic and a hammer to go kinda sideways and spin it out. If that doesn't work, center punch it in the exact center and drill it with a lefthand drill bit and it should spin right out. Be careful not to drill into the case.

That ball and broken eccentric seems like they created some carnage. That shift star looks broken and right above that you can tell that something scarred the case a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job getting the broken eccentric bolt out. That's not good that you have all that miscellaneous junk floating around in there. Check the back of the clutch basket. Originally the plate is riveted on. If someone removed the plate to replace the cushions, they would have drilled out the rivets and put in bolts. Maybe that spare bolt came from there. That ball that you're pointing at... Is there another ball inside the trans shaft? There should only be 1 ball like that in the whole motor. Did you account for the bendover lock washer from the eccentric bolt? There are small passages that feed oil into the trans. Hopefully no spare parts went into the trans. The only way to know for 100% sure is to split the cases. If I were you, I would do a leakdown test before you go any farther. If either of the crank seals are leaking, you need to split the cases anyway.

If that piece of o ring is the same length as the water tube O ring, then that's where it came from. Somebody got sloppy and left it in there. I would be more concerned about extra metal pieces floating around that could get in between the gears. Whether or not you choose to split the cases(assuming it passes leakdown), is up to how willing to gamble you are.

And that metal plate had small bolts that secured that plate db206e3aa4ed8afabdb2e497842a23c9.jpg

Hope you can see from the pictures

I took pictures of the damage and to me it looks ok but someone mentioned that the shift star looks like if broken ... So I took pictures and I want you guys to tell me if anything is missing or bent or that should not be there ... All the help is appreciated..

25ec884117eaf6aa82b4fa41577ef713.jpg147f9611f6c7882d5a8e892bb4de5d19.jpge6c9cbba7bef01cc76191d43b062228d.jpg45bfaf9ef6bca976737a691cf3238a6b.jpgcd10e7a0955768a0178c4724a29e8f53.jpg

now that it is all cleaned up it doesnt look too bad to me.  I guess it depends on where you want to go with it.  If you want minimal investment id probably chance it and throw it back together.  Of course if any metal bits made their way into the trans you will be tearing it back down but it looks like you found most of the pieces.  If you dont mind spending a little money it never hurts to split the cases replace the crank seals and double check everything inthe trans.  you literally are probably less than an hour away from having everything split and cleaned up ready to go back together.  its not hard at all. Now since you are gonna split it anyway may as well have the crank welded and trued because that is the weak link IMHO.  See where im going.  its a snowball effect.  So if you just wanna get it running id say replace the broken parts seal that bitch up and try it all out for a while. 

In my opinion I would chance putting it back together after a very good cleaning , and the few new parts you cn see it needs. The banshee transmission actually runs up off the bottom of the cases and has no pump or anything. It is also segregated from the crank, rods , pistons etc. unlike a 4 stroke. I only see about $60 or less in new parts needed.