Banshee Doesn't Kick Start

Denet

I have a 1990 stock banshee with FMF gold series pipes and a aftermarket reed valve. It runs great in all gears except I always have problem getting it to kick start. 8 out 10 time I can't kick start it, but I can start it with a little push. And spark plug is always wet when I inspect them. I clean the spark plugs then I can kick start it. I check all the hoses around the carbs and they are in the right places and connected. I belive the Carbs are stock. Do I need to rebuild the carb? if yes, what should I change? THANK YOU.

First off I'd run a compression check. Next clean the carbs good. Check the jets for the specific sizes. Next set your airscrew to 1 and 1/2 turns out from just snug. Basically what I am reading into your post is that once you get the engine spinning fast enough you can get the bike started. This suggests that your compression is low and that it can't develop enough compression at low RPM's until it's spinning fast enough. Also once it has warmed up, will it kick start ok? I suspect that this is the case. I'm thinking that you will probably be into a topend job, hopefully you can get away with rings and a hone job on the cylinder otherwise its new pistons, rings and a bore job.

Wheatchex

Thanks for the speedy reply. I checked the compression on both cylinders and they both read between 50psi to 55psi.

I think the jet size is stock size. What jet size would you recommand for a banshee has only FMF pipe and reed valve added? I run banshee at about 1000-3000 feet above sea level.

One thing I am sure of is I can kick start it whether is cold or hot after I took carbs apart and cleaned it. But after 1 or 2 hrs of running then I start to having trouble kick start it.

Thank you very much for your time.

are you kiding me?? 50 psi. lmfao, thats not good man :blink: i think u need to buy a new top end and bore it like 30+ over. your compression is soposed to be around 110 im guessing, couse of your altitude.

are you sure that compression tester you got it reading correctly? wit that compression it shouldnt even be running :huh:

I am sorry about the compression number. It read 55lb per square inch or 4 kpax100 on the compression tester for both cylinders. I hope that makes more sense.

I used the automobile compression gauge for the compression test. I left one spark plug in cylinder and pluged compression gauge into other and kick around 10-15 time and compression gauge went all the way up to 55lb per square inch. I follow the same procedure for the other cylinder.

Thanks for all your help.

I assume you held the throttle wide open when you ran the compression test. Even so, I'm surprised that it runs at all. At a minimum the compression should be around 100 psi. Assuming that it still runs, it is very apparent that you need to have the top end bored to the next size, new pistons, and rings (new gaskets are a given when ever you take the engine apart). While you are in there check the reeds for any cracks or chips in the petals. Once you reassemble the engine, break it in easy for the first few tanks of gas to allow the rings to seat. Then have fun.

Wheatchex

you sure you have your compression tester screwed in all the way?

If it is and your getting that reading, pull the head off and wiggle the piston. Does it have a lot of play? It should have pretty much no play at all. If its still got pretty much no play, your tester is bad.

Sounds like its right though with the problems your having. Are you doing this cold or warmed up for a couple minutes? It should go up a ways when warmed up a little bit. Mine went up 30 psi when I was due for a rebuild

Before you do any wrench work, do the following:

1) Take out both plugs

2) Remove, clean, oil, reinstall your air filter

3) Install compression tester in one side

4) While holding the throttle wide open, kick the bike over 20-25 times

5) Repeat with guage in the other side.

6) Repost your compression numbers

If you are still down around 50 lbs, your guage is prolly trash. At 50psi of compression, there is almost no way you could get the bike started.

As for your jetting, with your mods, I would think you are one size large on your pilot, and a couple sizes large on the mains. However, ever bike is diff, and that could well be the jets your bike likes, but with the way you say your plugs look, I would say your are rich across the whole range.

Good luck.