Top Speed Estimate?

screamin'twin

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe Nyuk, or someone can answer this one, but Why are most streetbikes claim top speed of around 160, and if you go by what their speedo reads, 180-210mph, I know they are a bit lighter an a bit less wind resistant, but is a banshee that much slower?

I know a 660 raptor wont go over 80, even with tall gears, but an R6 (600cc) will claim to go 2x faster.

I know sometimes speedometers lie, My Saleen claims 200mph, but I dont think it will tag 180

It is all about wind resistance.

my uncle is a physics lecturer at the university or new south wales and i got him onto the problem.

His reply

The reason a streetbike will be capable of perhaps double the speed of a quad while acheiving the same power at the same revolutions per minute with the same gearing (not saying they have but as an example) is this:

wind resistance is worked out using a complex mathemetical equation which i wont go into with great detail but it takes into account the angles, sizes, shapes material surface finish and the relativity of the above to each other.

as an example, a go cart with 5 hp may do 30 km/h the same gocart may require 5 extra hp to achieve 40 km/h and the next 5 hp may only increase its speed by 6 or 7 km/h

using rough measurements and approximate angles and shapes i have worked out that a banshee would be capable of doing 120MPH if all of the following were achieved.

front fenders removed, no rider, 1 inch wide front tyres, frame 1/2 inch from the road at the front in the centre and rear tyres 1/2 inch from fenders, rear tyres 1 inch wide, 19:39 gearing, engine with 207 H.P. approx (185 H.P. at the tyres) and capable of reaching over 14000 rpm. There are other requirements but i will not go into them.

Hope this helps geoffo

John

So as you can see it is achievable !!!

sorry tithead but i didnt believe you before and i certainly dont believe you now

(ps sorry about the km/h stuff, i converted all the important stuff to mph and hp from kw and inches from mm etc.)

Geoff.

It is all about a fairing on sport bikes. It helps by lowering the drag force. The drag force is the mean player out there that takes away all of your power. Ever looked at a lamborghini and compared it to a shee , coefficient of drag 0.2 versus something over one. Everything will have a terminal velocity to which it can go no faster in a given fluid, say air. Unfortunately. the banshee won't go much over 140 with 500 HP with the normal body and ride height. Check out the Kawashee somewhere on the forum with 570+ HP, top speed about 140. Consider a shee like a late 60's muscle car lots of power and shaped like a elegant brick. Their top speed, not much over 120.

If this were the case, everybody would be running PTR pipes, not CPI.

front fenders removed, no rider, 1 inch wide front tyres, frame 1/2 inch from the road at the front in the centre and rear tyres 1/2 inch from fenders, rear tyres 1 inch wide, 19:39 gearing, engine with 207 H.P. approx (185 H.P. at the tyres) and capable of reaching over 14000 rpm.

Sneeky, you nake a good point, if he just gets rid of that damn rider, and runs it R/C he might just have it.

That would be the baddest RC ever.

no shit! now i m wasting my money on a full chromoly frame! when i coulda dumped my drag pipes and went to ptr`s.i`ll have to put air filters back on.maybe his kilt helps with the wind resistance.thas it i m junkin my leathers and i m gonna sport a kilt!

no shit! now i m wasting my money on a full chromoly frame! when i coulda dumped my drag pipes and went to ptr`s.i`ll have to put air filters back on.maybe his kilt helps with the wind resistance.thas it i m junkin my leathers and i m gonna sport a kilt!

well make sure you wear clean skivies, that kilt catches wind, all the fella's are gonna see your fanny, and in that kilt im afraid your going to attract all the sissy's......oh were goin chrome now too, isnt that aslo good for another ten ponies?.........and why chrome why not powder coat it pink to match your new riding attire, just dont forget to throw your evening bag over your shoulder and ill trade you a stock banshee for your dragster if you pay all shipping and throw in your old set of leathers.......