case trenching

If a 4 mm crank drops in and clears. So that means 2 mm of the stroke is not in to the case material so you still have another 3mm to go in the cases for the 10 mm. Better make it 4mm just to be sure there's no rubbing. First make a guide, say you go out and back over a dead squirrel's head. Should squish to about 4mm with the right vehichle. Now put a little blue tape in the case around your work area. Maybe some on the sealing surfaces. Ya know what, fuck the blue tape all together. It just costs more money. Just use the clear scotch from the junk drawer or the left over duct tape. You can just use the grinder to take off any residue anyway. Now, load a grinding disc on the makita. Make sure to stand at the back of the case. Slowly plunge the grinder in to the case at the trench area. Once the disc is uniformly about to punch through the bottom of the case begin sliding it sideways. Once your material is removed, remember to lay the dead squirrel in there to gauge the trench. If it's not deep enough, just use a razor blade to remove minute amounts of material. If it's way to deep or goes through the case, fuck it! It's not like you're trying to do it right any way. Now repeat the same hillbilly process on the top half.

Edited by trickedcarbine
  • Like 3

Y'all wonder why this site is going to shit...

i guess none of these builders that do trenching never had a first set of cases to try on...maybe its a natural talent,is that it?

thanks for the pics starwriter but i have all the measurements and numbers i just needed a yes or no on bottom cases...

i also already made my 74mm cylinder fit the top case....i don't think this is that big of a deal i do all my own work and my stuff runs as good as anyone else....

Some on top. How is it that if you are a Qualified machinist you have numbers and parts in hand but can't do the measuring to figure out the top? That is where the natural talent you spoke of comes to play. Me, only having minimal machine experience would a take measurements of the cases, and crank to figure it out. You keep stating that you have numbers and the right tools and know how, but here you are asking what to machine? It just doesn't make sense that you wouldn't know how if you were really capable. I'm a firm believer in that if you don't know, you shouldn't touch.

Edited by trickedcarbine

I never said I was a machinist...i got cutting tools and a tig welder in the garage....i would try this even if I eyeballed it....as long as I take my time and don't take to much as long as the crank clears everything then its runable....i have 4 different pics of cases trenches bybdiferent builders with mics showing the measurements and all of them or different...one has 3.5mm trench 4mm deep..ones 30mm wide 3.5mm deep...so as long as I'm between the two it has to work...all these engines I know ran great....but I'm no machines just a dude that doesn't care to try things on my own...ive ported a few dirt bike motors for local guys as well as welded busted cases....i did my case boring with a die grinder with a so called diamond cutter tip...