Elka vs Custom Axis for LT Fireball A-Arms

Strm Trpr

What's up fellas?

I primarily ride Dunes, XC, mountain trails and some desert when I get down south.

I read that if you ride desert and dunes, you want to set the suspension up for desert riding.

I like to blast through whoops, rough trails and blast air in the dunes, but my stock 2002 suspension is holding me back.

My buddies all have new KTM XC's, Raptor 700's, LT450Rs and 1 has a built Honda 330R and they all hand me my ass through the rough stuff since I'm still on stock suspension.

I plan to buy +3 LT Fireball A-Arms which require 19.5" eye to eye shocks.

I've read thru several threads and Matt, (SoCal Suspensions) said he likes Custom Axis over Elka's.

BTW, how's he doing these days?

I really like all the design features of the Elka Stage 5's, especially the integrated shock shaft protectors.

The price difference is ~$300 less for the Axis shocks.

I figured if I am going to throw down for shocks I want to do it right and do it once and buy the best shocks available, which in my eyes are the Elka Stage 5's.

What are your thoughts between the Elka Stage 5's and Custom Axis piggyback triple rates w/Hi/Lo Compression and Rebound and what are thoughts between the two company's customer support and rebuild services?

http://www.elkasuspension.com/products/atv/atv-stage5/

http://www.customaxisshocks.com/ATV-Front_Shocks-Piggyback_Coil_Spring.php

Thanks in advance!

You assume people are sheep minded because you are a sheep. Because Elka in your mind is a bigger name in dirt wheels you assume they are supposed to be worth more? Maybe they may sell faster but value wise any one who really knows what they are looking at will have no problem paying for axis if they are a serious buyer. Many guys I know that have rode on a national type level have sworn Axis' superiority over elka.

• Like 1

Better doesn't mean hold a higher value.

Elka is well known and most couldn't tell the difference.

That's why Elka will re sell better.

What's the name of that other shock again?

Better quality will hold a higher value...

Elka is well known and marketed better I agree with you 100% but the OP to me doesn't seem to want to be a sheep in the herd but better than.

Elka will sell faster but I wouldn't say better.

Axis... get some try them they do make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they both have the same specs in what way is axis better ? I want to know. Less fade during a gn cross country race. Ok but why

Quality...

I've ran both sets and was always an Elka fan and still am but after noticing the difference and like you said fade from the Elkas I ran the axis that didn't fade on me in the dunes.

Again this is my own experience with these company's on my personal banshee.

+3 for xc and trails is too wide in my opinion. I run the fireball LT arms +2 and I think is more than enough for All around ridding.

I didn't know they offered different widths, I thought they only offered +3.

I'm down w/only +2.

So you all think the hand built Penske shocks are the way to go?

That's fine with me, now I can buy a +2+1 LSR steering stem.

IMO matt's advice will be SOMEWHAT BIAS... why? because the dude has something against anyone who isn't American upper class so just something to keep in mind... my opinion take it or leave it.. .

That's just ignorant.

What is your opinion based on?

I'm not "upper class" by any stretch of the imagination. .and he's always been great to me. We've had many long chats on the phone..very down to earth guy imo. He has his opinions on things..but not biased against people "less" than upper class ..so to speak.

If you don't like a certain opinion on a product..fine. But to call out a dude personally like that as a way to justify his thoughts on a product is just ignorant. ...imo..

Sent from a van down by the river

• Like 1