Elka vs Custom Axis for LT Fireball A-Arms

Strm Trpr

I debated that alot when i had some fox floats quoted. I decided against it for two reasons. I ride mostly sand so i didnt figure the cost was worth it and because i doubt i am able to tune on a shock enough to notice a difference from what a builder would say i needed.

When I moved from a +6 arm to a +10 I called ELKA and they sent me a new stronger rate rear spring for $95 shipped.

I was also told what to do as far as spring preload, compression and rebound adjustments. They ended up being almost spot on! I only went one click firmer on my compression to keep my rear end floating on the tops of the whoops.

Thanks Jesse.

I'll hit them up today if I have time.

I just can't see how the Stage 5's aren't better than anything else on the market, but I could be wrong.

I mean with all of the design advancements they have just seems like a state of the art coil spring shock set-up.

Plus I really dig the shock shaft protectors...

I will do that.

You're in Canada, so getting what you need makes things easier for you.

I like the looks, the color of springs, the design enhancements/advancements and of course the integrated shock protectors of the Elka Stage 5's vs red or navy blue springs of the Axis shocks, (depending on availability at build time), and the lack of shock shaft protectors.

When it comes down to it, the stage 5's are about $50 more than the full blown triple adjust/triple rate Custom Axis shocks.

I do not want to cover up a set of beautiful shocks with a shock covers.

And the ones offered by Axis are made from canvas and will wear the paint on the coils over time.

My buddy has a KTM 525XC and his KTM shock covers are stretchy neoprene that appear to be just like what a wet suit is made of.

They're form fitting and do not wear the black coils of the stock Ohlins triple adjustable shocks.  <-- Lucky bastards...

I know I could probably get away with a set of Works AT Steelers set-up for what I do, but I want to kick it up a notch.

My wife bought me this 2002 just after I had open spinal cord surgery back in 2011 in hopes that I would make a speedy recovery and also because all my buddies had nice shiny new ATV's and I was riding around on a Hoopty 87 Banshee that I built back in 1995, those are her words.

Before the surgery, the surgeons told us that I probably would never be able to ride or road race again and that I would need 3-4 weeks of ambulatory rehab after surgery to learn how to walk and function like a normal human.

3 days after surgery, I walked out of the hospital fully functional, so I am damn lucky.

Coming up on 3yrs after surgery and there's no sign of the tumor they removed, so we'll continue living life to the fullest.

So every now and then I'll show her some pics of some really clean Banshees from this site and she says, "why don't you make your blue Banshee look like those"?

And so here we are.

I am already out riding the stock suspension and the fronts are max'd out on pre-load but the rear shock is hanging in there still with a one click harder of compression

Next I'll be looking to get the rear shock rebuilt/resprung for my weight and a +2 HD JDS round house swing arm.

I've recently sold enough parts to throw down on a top of the line set of shocks that will be on my bike for the duration.

I'm getting up there in age and I don't ever see an end to riding dunes and XC with my friends and my two sons.

So, I want to do it once, so I'm going to do it right.

Thanks for listening to my life story, and keep the comments rolling...

:cheers:

• Like 1

You said everything I needed to hear. (Back surgery)

Buy the ELKA stage 5's and be done with it. They will be nearly identical the the AXIS, have the look you like, offer shaft protection and you'll never have to explain your shocks to anyone since ELKA is widely admired.

There is a factory approved service center here in the U.S. so they don't have to go thru customs every time you need work done.

• Like 1

Yes Sir, that is the plan after I start parting out my 87.

I'm building the suspension first and when I'm in there a set of YFZ450R calipers and MC are going on too.

Once the suspension, brakes and finally steering are all upgraded, then I'll pull the motor and have one of the site sponsors do a 4mil Stk Cyl Aggressive Trail/MX Port.

I know all about the benefits of suspension and brakes.

I can push Porsche GT3 RS', Vettes, Camaros, Rustangs and the venerable Miata all around the corners in my 300awhp Eclipse AWD turbo.

Of course the V8's walk all over me in the straights, but not for long...

I pushed a GT3 RS so hard thru turn 11 at Thunderhill Raceway that he got all slide ways right in front of me and he had a GoPro mounted on the roof looking back seeing me in his rear view mirror all day.

The suspension, braking and tire/wheel package allows me to push the car to over 1g laterally without wearing the tires out.

Next is more power with a fully forged motor, built head, cams and a Garrett GT30 turbo from Forced Performance as the cherry on top.

Should put down 450awhp on 91 octane all day long at only 25psi give or take a few.

It's fun as hell during track days when those high $$$ car drivers come over to check out my <$10k track slut...

You said everything I needed to hear. (Back surgery)

Buy the ELKA stage 5's and be done with it. They will be nearly identical the the AXIS, have the look you like, offer shaft protection and you'll never have to explain your shocks to anyone since ELKA is widely admired.

There is a factory approved service center here in the U.S. so they don't have to go thru customs every time you need work done.

There's a place right here in CommiFornia...

http://www.catalystsuspension.com/

Thanks for the heads up John!

There's a place right here in CommiFornia...

http://www.catalystsuspension.com/

Thanks for the heads up John!

:cheers: You're Welcome