Bunch of issues please help

Abstract

How's it going, I just recently acquired a 2001 banshee, she's rough, after about 8 years since I got rid of my first one, I don't know much but wanting to learn, now my issues I'm having are as follows

Bike turns on after a few kicks, doesn't idle very good, misfires like crazy unless reved up, hits hard in 1st gear, 2nd gear hits hard then bawgs a little then hits hard again, 3rd hits hard and dies instantly at wide open throttle, the rest of the gears are like 3rd, at half throttle though it hits pretty clean, Fuel wise I do 50:1 castor oil and 93octane, banshee has new plugs, I feel like more then sure I'm having straight carb issues, i don't know if the bike is bored or anything or if the carbs are jetted or what size they are, has fmf exhaust, I know it's not allot of info but can some one please steer me in the right direction, hate to sound like an idiot, and can some one explain carb terminology please hahahaha I'm lost when I try reading other threads... Thanks allot in advance!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50:1 is not enough oil. Caster oil? Hope you mean twostroke oil

Pull carbs clean them write down jet sizes of main and pilot. I wouldn't ride it or even start it until you fix the mix and verify what jets are in it. Also do a compression test and leak down test. That is if you want to save money on a new engine.

Make sure your using a quality 2stroke oil 4oz per gallon would be 32:1. Its gas: oil so 50:1 is very lean on oil

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I was always told 50:1, but hey I'm here to learn, thanks for telling me, and I use castor 927 2 stroke oil, I'm not completely clueless, haha how can I tell what size jets the carbs have? I'm going to take them off tomorrow and clean them out, also how do I do a leak down test? I do have some oil or gas around the exhaust, seems to be getting to much fuel I think

Jet size is stamped on the side of the jet. Main is the larger hex head jet. pilot is small one inset in the carb with flat head slot. I hear ratios misquoted regularly 50:1 may not even be the actual ratio your using. 50:1 is 2.6 oz oil per gallon, Regardless I would use 32:1

Oil/gas around exhaust port where pipe fits to cylinder is probably just bad o rings or need new springs if pipes loose

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I use 50:1 and have been for years with no issues! Clean the carbs and start from there!

OP, do NOT run 50:1 these aren't freakin weedeater engines. 

32:1 or 40:1, pick one or the other. As far as your pre-mix goes, castor927 is fine, nothing wrong with that (I use Klotz and so do a lot of other folks but sometimes it's personal preference and availability)

If I were you, while your cleaning the carbs real well and noting what jets are currently in them. It may not be a bad idea to go ahead and pull your reeds and make sure they are ok also but you may want to order (4) new reed gaskets before you do that. Sometimes you can rip or damage the old gaskets when taking them off. Not totally necessary but it wouldn't hurt to look at them since you already have the carbs off.

One last quick note  pertaining to your intakes. If that bike has a boost bottle, throw that shit in the trash and get a stock crossover tube. FAST Racing sells them, they are a trusted site sponsor. They also carry a lot of other OEM parts if you may need any.

Everything you are describing definitely sounds like straight carb issues. Building yourself a good leak down tester and checking for leaks is also a very good idea. There is a thread in the "technical" section on the main forum page that will tell you step by step on how to build it. You can buy all of the supplies at your local hardware store.

Don't get discouraged and welcome to the HQ 

Sounds like carbs to me besides if it's been sitting 8 years the first thing that you should do is pull and clean them regardless .Also pay attention to which carb slide comes out of which carb and be sure to make sure and not mix up the carb float bowls as they are different and need to stay with the carb they came off of .One last note make sure when you re install the carbs you put the crossover tube (small hose between carbs ) back on before you attempt to re start it as it will save you from making another post .

OP, do NOT run 50:1 these aren't freakin weedeater engines. 

32:1 or 40:1, pick one or the other. As far as your pre-mix goes, castor927 is fine, nothing wrong with that (I use Klotz and so do a lot of other folks but sometimes it's personal preference and availability)

If I were you, while your cleaning the carbs real well and noting what jets are currently in them. It may not be a bad idea to go ahead and pull your reeds and make sure they are ok also but you may want to order (4) new reed gaskets before you do that. Sometimes you can rip or damage the old gaskets when taking them off. Not totally necessary but it wouldn't hurt to look at them since you already have the carbs off.

One last quick note  pertaining to your intakes. If that bike has a boost bottle, throw that shit in the trash and get a stock crossover tube. FAST Racing sells them, they are a trusted site sponsor. They also carry a lot of other OEM parts if you may need any.

Everything you are describing definitely sounds like straight carb issues. Building yourself a good leak down tester and checking for leaks is also a very good idea. There is a thread in the "technical" section on the main forum page that will tell you step by step on how to build it. You can buy all of the supplies at your local hardware store.

Don't get discouraged and welcome to the HQ

Thanks man, and glad to be here, my old man bought me my first banshee when I was 13 years old, had fmf fattys some carb work and +4 extended swingarm, that one blew, and just now at 22 years old I decided to get another one after having a yz85 for 2 years, needles to say I love banshees and think highly of them, I'm very mechanically savy with cars small engines ect now just needa learn about the shee, I'll be back on here later with jet sizes, only one cylinder was really acting up, piping fire out and back firring, idk if that's a death sign or what, trying to stay cheap for now, but if I had to I wouldn't mind a complete overhall, thanks again I'll be back late

Castor is not made to run at 50:1 in these things.

Homework:

Leak down

Compression test

Buy clymer

Ditch the boost bottle maybe replace the boots

Clean the carbs & replace any junk stuff in them (what jets are in them)

Clean up electrical and clean ground point on the harness.

New fluids

New plugs

Cut the coil wires back about a half inch and put fresh boots on

Dialectric grease any connections

Tors kit

Didn't get the carbs off today, decided to check some simple things out, one carb was opening up before another so I synced them, noticed the throttle cable is a little messed up so I'm going to replace it, on the cylinder that was missing allot I cut 1/4" of wire off the spark plug wire and used the old boot, and wow what a difference, hits hard in every gear, still sluggish at low end, but now noticed the clutch is slipping pretty bad so now I gotta replace that, any clutch suggestions? Plan on going 4 mil soon would like a clutch that grabs hard and will hand future mods, thanks in advance

And I don't have a boost bottle, It has some small silver pipe that goes from one carb manifold to the other, don't know if that's stock or a good or bad mod, this thing says my pics are to big to upload so I can't show you guys what I'm talking about

FAST or REDLINE both have good clutches for sale. Both are around $100 I think? Invest in a pancake bearing while your at it. In the future if you wish you can upgrade to a billet basket but I know your trying to stay on a budget.

Cool thanks I'll look them up, and I'm trying to focus more on suspension and other body mods like nerf bars handle bars clutch brake levers new shifter ect before I get into the engine for more power, of course that's after I get this current set up running properly

And I don't have a boost bottle, It has some small silver pipe that goes from one carb manifold to the other, don't know if that's stock or a good or bad mod, this thing says my pics are to big to upload so I can't show you guys what I'm talking about

That's the stock crossover tube we were explaining to you in earlier posts. That's what you want to see.