nitro methane

jayhawkatv

i dont think i ever said propane and nitro.. i simply was comparing the ability to safely run alternate fuel sources besides gas. i also never stated that i would run gas with nitro either.. i would make the switch to alcohol  before considering toying with nitro at all. 

Ok, look….there are people running nitro in Banshees. BUT….they spent YEARS running alky in very high strung machines first. Then they blew many, many motors up into total fireball piles of junk before figuring out how to tame Nitro.

Now your running 220 PSI and 116. Most builders will tell you that regardless of fuel, your running too much compression because these motors tend to like numbers under 200. More compression just robs power, these motors are resonance motors…not hand grenades mounted on connecting rods.

So FIRST I think you need to run a motor that actually makes serious power. (100+ HP proven)

Then you can switch to alky and try getting your number over 120 HP.

Then you can start dreaming about Nitro.

I say this because taming a high strung, high HP motor requires tuning skills. Messing with Nitro requires TOP LEVEL tuning ability AND a deep enough pocketbook to afford to finance your own learning curve.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or that you can't do it……….but right now your kinda like a 16 year old kid telling me he wants to race the Daytona 500 when you only got your license a month ago. You need a little seat time in something more advance before you dream about Nitro.

Or…..just dump a R/C nitro jug in your tank and get busy figuring it out the hard way. I'm just trying to say it's an expensive experiment……but I have no skin in the game, so ultimately I could care less. Just post those carnage pics as soon as they happen OK?

Propane comment: I personally have seen it on everything but 2 wheel machines, that includes sleds though. I don't think it's a proper comparison though as it isn't caustic on parts and it won't shatter crankshafts like nitro will.

Footsteps comment: I know it's cliche to say don't be a follower, be a leader..... But in this situation being an innovator requires doing a little bit of the ol Cost/lifestyle living math. The top names have already done the footwork for running nitro and most have bailed as they know the cost to pay off ratio. No doubt it can work but if parts available aren't up to the task of running it reliably that means you literally have to be ready to throw parts at the motor almost every weekend. Nitro is diesel like and as an engineer you would have to be prepared to custom machine everything. Guess it boils down to this. In my opinion if you need to ask about getting it to work, it's more then likely over your head and this tells me you might no grasp the cost of the final solution to get it running reliably. If I'm wrong please prove me wrong.

You ready to play on THIS level?

Ok, look….there are people running nitro in Banshees. BUT….they spent YEARS running alky in very high strung machines first. Then they blew many, many motors up into total fireball piles of junk before figuring out how to tame Nitro.

Now your running 220 PSI and 116. Most builders will tell you that regardless of fuel, your running too much compression because these motors tend to like numbers under 200. More compression just robs power, these motors are resonance motors…not hand grenades mounted on connecting rods.

So FIRST I think you need to run a motor that actually makes serious power. (100+ HP proven)

Then you can switch to alky and try getting your number over 120 HP.

Then you can start dreaming about Nitro.

I say this because taming a high strung, high HP motor requires tuning skills. Messing with Nitro requires TOP LEVEL tuning ability AND a deep enough pocketbook to afford to finance your own learning curve.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or that you can't do it……….but right now your kinda like a 16 year old kid telling me he wants to race the Daytona 500 when you only got your license a month ago. You need a little seat time in something more advance before you dream about Nitro.

Or…..just dump a R/C nitro jug in your tank and get busy figuring it out the hard way. I'm just trying to say it's an expensive experiment……but I have no skin in the game, so ultimately I could care less. Just post those carnage pics as soon as they happen OK?

see, now i commend your comment because you are actually attempting to back your claim instead of just saying it cant be done. i know it would not be an easy or even cheap investment, and at some point in the future i would like to try it. it wont be anytime soon as im already busy enough with sponsorships and multiple forms of racing, but i think at some point ill do some research on it. i wont comment more on the propane subject, because that area has been proven to work for a few years now in the high HP sled world. 

What gives away the level of expertise that the OP has, to me, is this>  Every guy that is TRUELY fast that I've talked to all say the same thing.. look at the chassis/tire setup. You can have all the power in the world, but if you aren't applying it correctly , its pretty useless.  

So instead of looking for alternative fuels to give you the "edge" in a race, i think you should be looking at the rest of your setup 1st.   So, lets see your chassis, let us know what form of racing you compete in...because if you aren't in a competitive racing environment, then you're wasting your time. If you don't already have a "dialed in" chassis/tire combo,,your wasting your time.

Make sense? There's no point of even entertaining nitro  unless you already meet at LEAST those 2 criteria.

see, now i commend your comment because you are actually attempting to back your claim instead of just saying it cant be done. i know it would not be an easy or even cheap investment, and at some point in the future i would like to try it. it wont be anytime soon as im already busy enough with sponsorships and multiple forms of racing, but i think at some point ill do some research on it. i wont comment more on the propane subject, because that area has been proven to work for a few years now in the high HP sled world.

<br /><br />High HP, sled, and propane don't go in the same sentence..Shit don't work!

Propane comment: I personally have seen it on everything but 2 wheel machines, that includes sleds though. I don't think it's a proper comparison though as it isn't caustic on parts and it won't shatter crankshafts like nitro will.

Footsteps comment: I know it's cliche to say don't be a follower, be a leader..... But in this situation being an innovator requires doing a little bit of the ol Cost/lifestyle living math. The top names have already done the footwork for running nitro and most have bailed as they know the cost to pay off ratio. No doubt it can work but if parts available aren't up to the task of running it reliably that means you literally have to be ready to throw parts at the motor almost every weekend. Nitro is diesel like and as an engineer you would have to be prepared to custom machine everything. Guess it boils down to this. In my opinion if you need to ask about getting it to work, it's more then likely over your head and this tells me you might no grasp the cost of the final solution to get it running reliably. If I'm wrong please prove me wrong.

yeah i realize its not the safest fuel source by any means either. im not trying to say anyone else is wrong in their comments or ideas and im not looking to run into my garage right now, pour the nitro into my tank, strap on a gorilla suit and 60's leather football helmet and assume its going to run on it. i didnt post the original question. all i was originally saying is that it CAN be done, and has been attempted before and that i at some point in my lifetime would like to say i gave it a worthwhile attempt

If he wants to try he needs help not stupid humor, and these threads will work better for his goals

True....but I think we can agree that he's just talking out his ass about a pie in the sky notion he'd like to try some day. Not now clearly.....but some time in his life.....hopefully before he gets too old to ride or dies.

On that note......I'd like to bang 2-3 playmates and 2-3 Victoria's secrete models at the same time.

I know many will say it can't be done.....but goals, challenges, willing to try, blah, blah, blah

I bet banging 6 top level women or running Nitro would work out to about the same overall out of pocket expense. LOL