adjustable timing plate?

So, I'm new to the whole banshee scene and I've been thinking of modding my shee. People have been telling me that I should buy an adjustable timing plate. Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly will that do for me? I plan on putting some new pipes on along with a new filter setup and a fresh filter and people keep recommending an adjustable timing plate to go along with it. Any education on the subject would be nice. Thanks guys.

• 3 months later...

it increases your bikes low end performance.........after +4 timing, your running the risk of causing detonation in your motor and also losing a slight bit of top end performance as well.

So what you're saying is that it doesn't actually increase performance, it just shifts the power more low and less top?

Can someone chime in here and tell us if this true or not. I keep reading different opinions and don't know what to believe

UF, timing will net you some considerable throttle response as well as a little bit of torque down low, and depending on some set up its possible to get a slight gain top to bottom. Thing is, to much timing and the motor will fight itself on the top end. Detonation is also a common factor if someone is getting carried away with timing, so it's better for most folks to be pretty conservative when wicking the timing up.

• Like 1

UF, timing will net you some considerable throttle response as well as a little bit of torque down low, and depending on some set up its possible to get a slight gain top to bottom. Thing is, to much timing and the motor will fight itself on the top end. Detonation is also a common factor if someone is getting carried away with timing, so it's better for most folks to be pretty conservative when wicking the timing up.

So what is the chance of detonation with +3 or +4 timing?

Does advancing timing wear down the engine quicker?

Depends on the motor set up. +4 degrees is usually safe. But if you have a set up that has some extra compression and is sort of on the edge of premium fuel capabilities, you may wanna keep an eye on the plugs for a minute and monitor how the motor responds. Keep some better fuel around just in case.

As for timing wearing the motor out faster...... Well I guess in theory but if the motor is given a happy medium it could go for several seasons and be fine. Or wick it up and maybe barely make one season. But if there is a failure due to increased timing, is it because the parts were junk and tired, or is it because someone didn't know how to tune and maintain?

Edited by trickedcarbine
  • Like 1

Actually gonna agree with that^.

Timing produces the heat earlier. Therefore the pipe is " moving heat" faster. That is more engine/pipe set up related then most realize. I noticed a motor going from Rockets to Shearers took 3 more degrees of timing and was still happier up top and carried more RPM.

I think im just going to go either +2 or +3 just to be extra safe. Out of curiosity, is there any dyno or any tests done with stock vs aftermarket timing plate?

With the flywheel puller, will any flywheel puller (thats not a 3 jaw) work?

I was looking at this one (cheapest one on ebay) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLYWHEEL-PULLER-TOOL-YAMAHA-BLASTER-BANSHEE-RZ350-/380851367686?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item58ac82af06

Lots of folks have seen gains with timing on a dyno. If your bike can only take 2/3 degrees don't bother.

Do you guys think advancing my timing 4 degrees would be worth the effort with the little bit of mods I currently have : bored .30 over, cool heads, oversized rad, 30mm carbs, "trail porting" , VF3 reeds, FMF pipes and silencers. Plus I think it's got a hotrod crank and weiscos(not that they do anything for power).. I ride mostly trails that are hill climbs and small straight stretches. Which to me, a little more low end sounds good. Just curious of your guys thoughts, sry to thread jack OP.