First banshee ever! What to do?

Im going with the 66mm cylinders because the guy that is doing the work has those in stock . Should i not use the 66mm ? Im all ears.

Well if your 64 now and you jump all the way to 66 you essentially wasted your top end.

Let's say a ring lets go when you 64.5 no big deal, bore to the next needed size. At 66 your at the limit of bores. So you could fuck up your new build and break some thing, all that Money was now wasted.

well i guess im gonna scratch the last few comments ive posted lol.. this has been up and down up and down for me, but hey its my first build so im bound to have this happen right?

my buddy got a hold of me today and told me he has a bottom end that was just rebuilt..(fresh bottom end.. new crank bearings and seals, hot rods crank.. not the 4mm but standard ) and is willing to work with me to get this thing going. so for now i guess im going to go with that, and if i think its not enough power to satisfy my needs i will try something else.. anyone know anything about these hot rod cranks? why are they said to be much better then stock cranks? im also interested in finding more out about these VITO SuperStock piston kits? i think i want to go with these since ive heard a lil about them, id like to know more if i could about em though. whats the difference between these and the wiseco pistons?  if i decide to go with these, what else can i do to gain  power? Some people say not to use ported cylinders with the vito kit and some do.. whys this? I thought about getting a shaved head or aftermarket head with domes, and lighten the flywheel, vforce reeds, pipes, and what not.. is this a good setup? and what will my gains be if i do all this? any help would be greatly apreciated.. thanks.. oh and sorry for being such a pain in the ass.. this is my first realy build and i want it to be fun.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard of 66.5 bores. But people have complained of over heating issues.

You said how you want to do this right and take your time, don't rush just becaus the shop only has one set if pistons

The cylinders on my 370 motor bike are at 66.75 and have been trouble free for 3 years of hard dune and dirt action. I know it's at the limits....but I'm just throwing that out there.

I'd put all your money in a good bottom end with a 4mill crank and a modded tranny.

Simple Vito's Super Stock pistons will get you great useable power for YOUR TYPE OF RIDING and when coupled with some FMF FATTY pipes and will get you basic ported cylinder power for the same cost as new replacement pistons. You will have enough power to put beatdowns on 450's yet keep a budget low enough to have cash for other things like some nice used WORKS shocks.

Here's my $.02. Used cranks are like used condoms, they're fucked and someone elses mess. When they shit a roller from the rod big end and it makes it's way to the top of the piston, it's not pretty. Ask me how I know this, LOL.

You've got to set a budget for your engine, otherwise you'll either run out of money, or won't have the supporting pieces to do it right.

One thing that hasen't been mentioned is that depending on the porting, sometimes a stock stroke can't be re-ported for a 4mil.

There're several ways to do a 4mil stroker. My son's is an unported stock cyl.long rod with head spacer and FMF signature pipes, makes good power, great tq, especially down low. If I had to choose between porting and a 4mil, I'd get the 4mil and port it later.  With porting, you can always take more out, but you can never put it back.

BTW, no such thing as stroker pistons, you have stock (short) 110 rods and long 115 rods using the correct pistons for the rod length. Most strokers are long rod, tho you can get them in short rod if wanted (not common).

Be sure you are building an engine that will suit your riding style AND area. I presume the trails in Vt. are kinda tight, technical, rocky, muddy. You'll be eating clutches with a light-switch powerband that it seems some are suggesting, JMHO.

While Vito's SS piston are good, don't know if they are offered for long rod crank.

I want to just get it going for now. Im going to go with the freshly rebuilt bottom end with a standard hot rods crank and vito superstock pistons for now. If i feel like the power is t enough for my needs i will upgrade later. I have so much work to do with just the roller that if i go the 4 mil route it will never be done by spring so im gonna go with a stock bottom end for now. I still need to get cylinders for it though so that will be my next thing to get. I do apreciate all the input on the pipes and stuff i am looking at what ones i wanna get. Im thinking pro circuit. The trails here in vt arent great i been riding in nh. The claremont nh area has some realy nice trails but they have rocky and muddy ones too. I plan to keep this thing clean though so i wont be in the mud

If I had to choose between porting and a 4mil, I'd get the 4mil and port it later.  With porting, you can always take more out, but you can never put it back.

People usually port it at the same time because they want the best bang for the buck and least down time. Might as well get the most ridable power you can while it's getting ported. Unless you do a spacer plate and skip porting the jugs for the 4mil. I'm not sure why you would want to add metal to a cylinder to make it slower. Plus stock cylinders are usually cheap.

• 2 weeks later...