cutting clutch springs

jayhawkatv

I'll make this quick... Have a 4 mil sc drag bike. The clutch wasn't slipping enough and it was bogging down to much. so I switched to all stock springs. At the dunes it does pretty good but I have to feather the clutch quite a bit. At the track it bogs to where,r I have to double clutch it. If I give it to much gas it just stands straight up (+10 swing). I know how to pilot btw. My question is how many coils do I need to cut off the springs to get it to slip a little more and how many springs should I start cutting on. Thanks

Start with two but u should really get a spring tension gauge so you can do a baseline and then you know where you have been.i never just take springs out because I want equal pressure on the clutch pack.i measure tension of all springs so I know total pressure then adjust a lil at a time

Start with two but u should really get a spring tension gauge so you can do a baseline and then you know where you have been.i never just take springs out because I want equal pressure on the clutch pack.i measure tension of all springs so I know total pressure then adjust a lil at a time

I'm glad sleeper has a clue.

you need a better frame setup.  gearing and or tire

IMO, that's a totally old school answer & there's nothing wrong with old school.

Clutch tuning is not a magical fix for all that ails a dune/drag bike. The overall set-up needs to all work together to get the desired results. I would start with the cheap areas first to try & resolve your issue(s).

I don't think the lower spring pressure alone will solve your problem. Used with other tuning areas like camatv mentioned, along with other areas should help you out.

10 paddle ext, 73+ ro, +10 arm, stock lightened and extended chassis, +3 forward arms, bike makes 96 hp, 50lbs tq. I have 42 grams of weight on the lockup, running all stock springs with a f.a.s.t clutch. need to know anything else?

10 paddle ext, 73+ ro, +10 arm, stock lightened and extended chassis, +3 forward arms, bike makes 96 hp, 50lbs tq. I have 42 grams of weight on the lockup, running all stock springs with a f.a.s.t clutch. need to know anything else?

Gearing, 1st or 2nd gear launch, rider weight, amount chassis is extended, timing/ignition, pipes & carbs/fuel. I think that will give us a bigger picture.