Kicking around going diesel

sprinklerman

I've always been a GM guy, but now that I'm in the market for a diesel, I'm looking at Ford and Dodge.  Pro's and Con's of each? What years are to be avoided? I don't want to go too far back in the years,,want something i can use for work 3-4 years then sell.

Thanks for any experienced input.

Its easy to get caught up in the power they all have to offer (all three brands) but fully expect and set aside some money for EXPENSIVE repairs.  I learned very quick once I bought my diesel that they ALL break and they ALL cost a lot to fix when you start modifying or tuning them hot. 

If your sole purpose is work, any of the big three will do but be aware that even stock cummins are hard on the 48RE autos so I would advise a manual trans.

In previous years i would have agreed but not anymore.  The NV 5600 used up until 2005 was a pretty solid box but very complicated and difficult to rebuild.  Now that new venture is gone parts are very hard to get.  The getrag g56 used 2006 and up hasnt proven to be the best reliabiltiy wise when towed heavy. As a matter of fact if you buy a manual powered cummins its derated compared to the same truck with an auto. (exact oppposite of how it used to be lol)  If left stock and driven nicely the newer autos do a pretty good job.  If you start chasing HP in anything you are going to break shit, thats no doubt.  Im a cummins man, but if i didnt buy a newer cummins i would probably choose a Dmax second, and would walk before owining a powerstroke.  Up through 2012, the cummins didnt use exhaust fluid either, so just another thing to factor in if looking for a used unit.  Hell i know a couple guys who have gotten screaming deals on 2012 cummins still on the lots new in the last few months.

Im also a gm guy but Ive owned all 3's diesels. 5.9 cummins was a beast. BUT the transmission sucked. The trucks leaked everything. You could hide a small chikd in the busted ass dash or door panels. Dodge's styling is behind. Dirtymax was decent. Had to change a couple injectors and had a cold morning smoke that nobody coukd figure out even though it was a bad bad smoke. I HATED the independent front suspension on my chevy 4x4. Broke that shit a lot. Last one was a 2005 6.0 Ford 6.0. IN MY EXPERIENCE it was the best! Everybody knocks the 6.0's and I did too. But once I replaced injectors, soldered the ficm, deleted the egr, that truck gave me another 110k miles with NO problems. bought it with 90k miles and ran it to 203k. The 5 speed auto was nice. These were all ranch trucks and got worked hard.

The 98 1/2 to 02 dodge rams ran a 47re trans that could barely handle stock power let alone any mods. That model of cummins also had lift pump issues which when not addressed would drag down the injection pump ($1,100 to4,000 to repair) in 99 and 00 dodge changed the front end from a dana to aam. And there ball joints sucked ( one ton duallys were worse then single wheel configuration). Also that body style had no drain holes on the bottom of the door which if not modified would rust the bottom of the door from the inside out. The dashes cracked like a bitch and the paint left something to be desired as for longevity. Once you build a solid trans, replace lift pump and possibly injection pump drill holes in the bottom of doors, they are fairly solid trucks. Id rather have an old diesel pre 07 then a new one right now. The dpf, egr and def shit sucks for fuel economy. Not pulling anything i can get 17/20 around town/highway empty and 13/16 pulling. Unless you delete a new truck its hard to get good milage.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing you could do to research your next truck is to look for comparison articles of used trucks in diesel power, diesel world and diesel tech magazines.

TON!

Sorry going from days to nights fucking sucks. But hope the info i found helps. I've had to put 2 sets of ball joints on my truck and there bad yet again. The truck only has 109k on it. As for the engine, that 5.9 cummins pulls well and has decent power. Another thing to think about is buy a set of gauges. Mechanical ones are the only way to go in my experience. Fuel pressure, egt and if you have a auto, a trans temp gauge. I also have a boost gauge which helped me figure out i had a boost leak i didn't know about. You couldn't hear it until it popped. One of the plugs under the grid heater was leaking and ended up getting blown out.

TON!

Thanks for all the replies. Let me describe a little better what itll be used for.

Im NOT going to mod it for more power. If im going to build a hot rod again,a diesel 1ton isn't the best platform IMO. haha The only mod i might do is something minor to improve reliability and MPG,,if some power came with it,that's cool. It will only be used for towing duty on-road,,but id still want 4WD just in case.  Id probably go with an auto trans as a laborer might drive it time-to-time.

The 6.0 is pretty decent once you put the money into it to get it reliable. we have a couple dodges at work with the 6.7. one is a 2500 6speed and the other is a 5500 automagic. both are running bastards and get driven hard. the 5500 regularly pulls 30lbsk or more