Which Tranny Oil?

Banshee0028

I'm not sure theres an answer to the tranny oil question...youll get a million different answers. The big thing is keeping it clean. I run 20w50. Also I run my Amsoil 70/1, and Ive had no problems so far...anything more than that fouls my plugs. Amsoil recommends 100/1 but i'm afraid thats too thin. Not a suggestion...just telling you what i use.

0028- Grease your zerks and lube your chain

I use Castrol 20w50 in the tranny and change almost every ride.

Thanks SST, anyone else change their oil that often? I know Castrol 20w50 is pretty cheap so it seems like a good idea...

Also, what about a good Synthetic oil ... Should protect better right? :huh:

i use bel ray gear saver, it cost alot more than regular oils but like mentioned its cheaper than a new tranny. i change it every other ride. hell i figure i have that much money into the thing the oil cost really isnt a factor. just like mentioned before youll get a million answers so keep it clean. later

I change mine every other ride like evil.The motul I use is synthetic.I also have used bel ray gear saver and had nothing bad to say about it.The belray and motul will run you just under $6.00 a bottle,that is a whole lot cheaper then a tranny.

A new tranny will run you a couple hundred plus tear down costs etc. If your spending 10 bucks every other ride and you ride every other weekend thats 260 bucks a year. My tranny has lasted 2 years now and I change my oil every 5 or 6 rides. I got a magnetic drain plug that'll help keep metal particles away from the moving parts but I cant see changing an expensive oil that often.

I use the Hondalube semi synthetic stuff and it works great. As soon as I put it in I felt better, smoother shifts with it. Its red like ATF and you can see when its starting to get contaminated because the red wont be as clear, and you know its time to change.

The more you change it the better obviously, but you have to weigh in the cost factor of the oil as well. If I change mine every 4 rides I'll save 130 a year, so I've saved 260 bucks, and my tranny is still running pretty darn strong. Next rebuild I'll take a look at the gears and see how they are doing. Probably another 2 years from now, and that'll be 520 bucks. Quite enough to put into the tranny if it is bad enough that it would need to be rebuilt, which I dont think it will be.

I use golden spectro 80 weight in my tranny, don't think it really 80 weight though when compaired to other tranny oils. Working great so far but it's expensive so I only change it every 2-4 trips depending on how much money I have and how much riding I do. it says it is fabricated for 2-stroke transmitions.

I hear that using regular automotive trany oil will eventualy wear down your clutch and tranny because it lacks an additive that 2-stroke tranny oil contains.