Circlip randomly sitting at the bottom of clutch cover?

SSDD

just blip it off with a impact.. you are close to east coast atv looks like your in jersey? Dave is a good guy he can help ya if you run into a jam.. he also carries the bushings

Thanks! I've ordered from Dave before, he IS a good guy! I'll probably get the replacement stuff ordered today. 

If you want you can bring the bike by my place and well get it all sorted out

I'm not too familiar with the area, I live on base housing across from McGuire AFB. If you're willing to help then I'd be more than happy to get this squared away with ya! Feel free to send me a PM with your addy/number....or you're welcome to swing by my place too! 

I just ordered the replacement bushing and circlip from FAST. Thanks for the help fellas! I hope to have this squared away pretty soon....I'm leaving for a road trip in a few days and will be gone for a bit. I'll look more into this issue once I get back! :)

I was reading various posts about the same issue all over the net, apparently (as I'm certain many of you guys already knew) the groove on the shaft the idler goes on can get f'ed up and cause the circlip to jump off easily. If I find that mine is bad then what is the best course of action aside from splitting the cases and replacing the shaft? 

The info I got from the previous owner when I bought it is that this engine is stroked to 420cc using Trinity parts...I don't know much about the validity of that but...

Basically I'd like to run the engine until it truly needs rebuilt, I'd rather not tear it down until it really needs it. Fingers crossed that the steel bushing for the idler I ordered from FAST (along with the new circlip) does the trick. 

Hey, anyone know the size of the nut that holds the clutch basket in? I got the clutch plates out and the biggest socket I've got is 21mm. Also, on the flipside I got to lookin' at the clutch basket and it's not OEM....I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a Hinson. Everytime I tear into this bike I find expensive parts....I'm glad I got it! I paid a fraction of the value of the parts used in it. Lol

Replace idler gear bushing, washers and circlip.

Clutch nut is 1.25" if I remember correctly.

1 1/4 or 32mm

Ok! Thanks guys, yep I just got the new circlip and steel bushing from FAST today. The original washer didn't look all chewed up, I was gonna reuse it but you're saying I should just get a new one? If that's what the doctor is prescribing then I'll order a fresh claw washer. Thanks again guys!!! :)

I always replace them as a group. Makes me feel better.

Yeah, I generally always just replace everything while I've got whatever it is apart...like in this case I'm going to also change the clutch since I'll have it apart. I don't know how old this clutch it...plus it's the kind that has the keyed steel plates. Is that an OEM clutch? I was thinking of buying a heavy duty tusk brand clutch....any experience with them? Also, since we're talking about the idler gear I noticed that about 4 of the teeth have some wear....should I just leave it or replace it? I was thinking it would be fine but I'm not an expert on the internals of the Banshee. You guys know more about these then I do, I have no issues doing repairs if I take it slow and pay attention to what I'm doing. 

Also, off topic but I dig your avatar. Danny McBride is funny as hell! :)

Pictures of the parts would help a lot.

If your basket, inner hub and pressure plate have wear, a new clutch will only be a band-aid fix.

I would inspect those things before you order parts from FAST as you can get anything else you need also.

Yea, I felt my avatar was appropriate. :banana:

Pictures of the parts would help a lot.

If your basket, inner hub and pressure plate have wear, a new clutch will only be a band-aid fix.

I would inspect those things before you order parts from FAST as you can get anything else you need also.

Yea, I felt my avatar was appropriate. :banana:

Ok, the only wear I see on the basket at this point is where the clutch fiber/friction plates interlock into the basket itself. It didn't seem excessive though, I'll snap some pics the next time I've got it apart of all the parts that have some wear. Plus, when I've got it all apart I'll be able to inspect the backside of the basket for wear. I've got a ton of crap going on (I build guitars/guns too) and toss in an upcoming road trip to NW Pennsylvania from Central NJ and I'm busy, busy, busy. 

I really appreciate all the help, I am hoping to have this Banshee running by July sometime. When it comes time I'll REALLY be needing help with the carbs....but I'll save that for a different thread (I'll of course utilize the "search" feature first before asking questions about those). Cheers and enjoy the long overdue weekend everyone! :)

Ok, the only wear I see on the basket at this point is where the clutch fiber/friction plates interlock into the basket itself. It didn't seem excessive though, I'll snap some pics the next time I've got it apart of all the parts that have some wear. Plus, when I've got it all apart I'll be able to inspect the backside of the basket for wear. I've got a ton of crap going on (I build guitars/guns too) and toss in an upcoming road trip to NW Pennsylvania from Central NJ and I'm busy, busy, busy.

I really appreciate all the help, I am hoping to have this Banshee running by July sometime. When it comes time I'll REALLY be needing help with the carbs....but I'll save that for a different thread (I'll of course utilize the "search" feature first before asking questions about those). Cheers and enjoy the long overdue weekend everyone! :)

My garage is always open, feel free to give me a call if you want. Your really close to where we ride so I have an idea of where your at

My garage is always open, feel free to give me a call if you want. Your really close to where we ride so I have an idea of where your at

Will do when I get closer to taking on this repair. I've been hearing people tell me there are places to ride ON Ft. Dix. I'm not sure about that, but some neighbors here on base housing have been saying there are trails over near Range 14. I'll have to look into it. 

• 2 weeks later...