Circlip randomly sitting at the bottom of clutch cover?

SSDD

Hey fellas...I'm still in the middle of my build and pulled the clutch cover today. The oil was nice and clean but there was some grayish sludge (not much) sitting at the bottom, so I cleaned it out then heard a "tink". I had sat the old clutch cover under the engine to catch the drips of oil. When I checked to see what made the sound, I found a small circlip that apparently been sitting in the sludge. It's amazing that it didn't get picked up from all the gears spinning at high RPM in there when the previous owner ran it. 

Anyhow, the first mention of a circlip that resembles the one I found is on page 179 in the Clymer manual...figure 16. If this is in fact it, how could it have fallen off? I'm thinking it could have been during installation if someone previously did work in there. Any ideas? I'm not putting it back together until I can figure this out. I looked around without taking anything else apart to see if something was missing a circlip and didn't see anything. 

*Edit to add more info*

I JUST looked again and found a washer that has a straight notch in it too! It was sitting near the kickstarter shaft! What the hell! Now I'm concerned. 

does it go on the starter idler gear.. I have had that one come off before.

Yeah! It looks just like it! Is this common then?

It MUST belong to the idler gear...I just wiggled it around and yep....it's loose as hell. 

Yes. Bushing wears out I side that gear then wobbles on the shaft spitting the washer and clip off. You can buy a new gear or get the aftermarket bushing for it. FAST has them.

Fast? Is there a link (I'm guessing this is a website)?

I'd use a new c-clip also.

Definitely. The one I found has some wear on the inside and it's slightly bent. I'm wondering how long it's been like this. I bought the Banshee back in 2006 and never ran it. We got stationed in England for 4 years in 2008, I had started tearing down the Banshee when I got it then got sidetracked. I've never ran it, and now I'm thinking that might be a good thing! It's a wonder that nothing got super f***ed up from the previous owner running it. 

Ya he's a site sponsor. Dig around. It's on here somewhere.

Ok, I'll check! Thanks for letting me know!! :)

I've never worked on a clutch before.....so this seems daunting to me. I'm going to have to order a flywheel holder tool, remove the basket and all the friction plates to replace the idler bushing and the circlip. Oi, I certainly wasn't expecting this. I hope there isn't anything else messed up with it. 

I've never worked on a clutch before.....so this seems daunting to me. I'm going to have to order a flywheel holder tool, remove the basket and all the friction plates to replace the idler bushing and the circlip. Oi, I certainly wasn't expecting this. I hope there isn't anything else messed up with it. 

If you want you can bring the bike by my place and well get it all sorted out