Another Swingarm Suggestion

papa_smurf49319

Okay long story short i dune, drag(silver lake), and occasionaly ride some fast open trails (baldwin Mi)

Passion 12 port on race gas, 185 psi, Jim claims 80 horse motor

Currently running stock length swinger with  21X12X8 9 paddle skat trak extremes on douglas .125's

Cant keep the front end down for the life of me in a race

Debating on going with +4 or +6, was thinking of going with stellar, not looking to spend a ton of money but definately dont wanna cheap out either, i need a nice reliable swinger, and roundhouse carrier.

Does anyone know what length chain ill need? Will the stock axle work okay in a dual row aftermarket carrier, obviously wont go for a big drag axle carrier.

As far as a rear shock, im 190 lbs and currently have a good stock rear shock, would a spring suffice, or should i get it revalved as well. I dont want the ass end sagging, or would it be cheaper to just go with a aftermarket (doubt it)?

Thanks

Cody

SSPX0364.jpg

SSPX0365.jpg

I know mine is 80 HP and there are a few things I can tweak and make a bit more so I'd bet you are in the 85 range if tuned right. So it's probably definitely a handful. Not sure on the length chain but you would probably be pretty stoked on a + 4 and a stock shock gone through by Matt at So Cal.

What are the trails like up there. I spent some time up there in the GEO MYCF. I just remember watching quads hauling ass by us.

Cody, you can't go wrong at Silverlake or even Baldwin trails with a +6.

Our ride group hits both areas and nobody in the group runs less than a +5.

You can go with +4 if your passion is riding wheelies. But if you want to drag that bike and make the most of that motor and tire combo....I'd go +6. Call Stellar or a site sponsor and get a chromoly round carrier style arm. NOT an ebay mild steel unit.

Thanks guys for the replies. My freind runs a +6 on his Herr juggs ported stock stroke and he said its to much, he's also running 8 paddle extremes as well. I think ill find myself hillshooting and dragging more this summer than anything. Been debating on building up a nice cub, don't know how much better that will be then what I already have but that's a diff question. I hopped on m&m's site and priced out the stellar swingers he sells. Question I have is should I go ladder or arched? I don't care to much for just the plain round tube.

Tricked. The trails are usually groomed very well and there's everything you'd want from tight and twisty(little o) to wide and fast(little manistee, Lincoln hills trails) also tin cup is fun and there's a badass hill to climb.

I'm building a 4mill trail ported motor, lots of other mods looking to be around mid 60 to 70ish hp. I have all stock suspension. I currently have well worn 10 paddle taller haulers. Let me tell you, man do those tires throw a roost! Anyways.... I ride St. Helens trail system. St. Helen snowpackers groom the trails for the sleds in the winter and regroom them after the snow melts. Long wide open trails with some areas full throttle. The main ORV trail is what you want to ride. It goes as far as Roscommon and ends down by the power lines near Denton Creek. I run paddles every time I go. Loose sand with a couple spots that are hard pack but I tread lightly in those spots to save my paddles.  I checked out so cal suspension website. If I want to save money, would rebuilding the stock shocks and possibly replacing the rear spring be the way to go.

Stock rear shock can be made into a nice useful unit.

Factory fronts are good for a static display and holding the bike off the ground.

If your planning to do any riding other than in a grass field, then the stockers should be one of the first things to be upgraded.

I really like the look of the archer ladder that stellar has. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of each style swinger and what they'd reccomend? Also does anyone have any pictures of stellar swingarms on there bikes. Or who they used and how they like it.

Thanks

Cody

IMO anything longer than a +4 is hard to trail ride, unless they are super wide seasonal roads or whatever! i ride some pretty open, fast trails up north a ways by Cadillac, Lake City area and i think a +6 would be a bit much...that being said i went with Stellar for my +2 and the craftsmanship is second to none! amazing work and it bolted right up....to each their own!

Here is my stellar HD +4.  It is a bad mofo. 325.jpg

True, i don't plan on blowing anyone outta the water. Had fun dragging with the stock arm and was running every stock cylinder Down on the big end. Just don't wanna limit myself with that +4. I can see myself building a nasttttttttttttty cub in the future.

Cody