Swingarm length

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes from what I've been reading the dd is the way to go for adjustability. I'm not a hardcore drag racer so a slingshot will work for me. I have the same setup on my Puma that is a desert, dune bike. Eventually I would like to go to a dm and that's why I'm leaning towards the +10, +12.

The responses to your post have gone all over the place. I'm not going to tell you how to set up a hillshooter bike, cause that's not something I have any experience with. But just going off the info you provided...you have some context clues we should look at.....

Currently running a +6 with a 421 cub, 1-5 duneable override on methanol. The bike wheelies leaving the line every time and I have to let off the throttle. I'm 250lbs with 9 paddle extremes 72" ro 14/41 gearing. Should I go to a +10 or +12?

I would expect a 421 to punt kick the front end with a +6, a big rider, 9 paddles and that gearing and a first gear launch.  There isn't anything wrong with using 1st gear, but you shouldn't have too with gearing like that.

(Your gearing to fight a bog, both at the start and farther up the hill.)

No, the motor won't pull taller gearing on the hill.

This can be rider weight.....or more importantly a lack of HP or a peaking narrow power band, too much compression, or a bad dome shape. Having the wrong pipe for the build can contribute as well.

I have to launch in first right now because the motor bogs trying to leave in second. Will the +10 give me enough wheel spin to leave in second? I don't want to have to drop another $300 on paddles...

If your motor bogs when launching in second with that combo......In my opinion, you have some motor related issues. Your jetting is way off, or your build is fighting itself.

Yes Banshee Hill is a bunny slope but the main hill is no joke at Dumont. It's not a sand mountain but it can hold its own. Comp hill at Glamis is a joke now, it has a plateau in the middle of its face. I always enjoy Olds though. The top end is apart right now getting fresh nikasil from Millennium, new pistons and domes from Kevin. I'm going to go with the +10 and try adjusting the spring tension on the clutch. What's a good starting point for spring tension on the clutch? Should I ground the bolts then back them out a turn at a time? Btw my slingshot only has one ball in each slot...

One of the 1st places to start is the clutch (there seems to be some other issues also). You need to lower your base/spring pressure from where you are at now. When you do that you will probably have to increase you dynamic pressure some. In your case more balls.

I'd just leave the swinger the way it is and focus on clutch tuning. As of right now you know the bike is hooking up, so going with a long swinger means you could eventually run in to traction issues. Then you will need tires to help combat that, and maybe a different shock/strut set up. So it could just save you money to work with your clutch set up and really focus on the way the power hits the tires out of the hole.

Clutch tuning alone is not going to fix the issues.

The responses to your post have gone all over the place. I'm not going to tell you how to set up a hillshooter bike, cause that's not something I have any experience with. But just going off the info you provided...you have some context clues we should look at.....

I would expect a 421 to punt kick the front end with a +6, a big rider, 9 paddles and that gearing and a first gear launch.  There isn't anything wrong with using 1st gear, but you shouldn't have too with gearing like that.

(Your gearing to fight a bog, both at the start and farther up the hill.)

This can be rider weight.....or more importantly a lack of HP or a peaking narrow power band, too much compression, or a bad dome shape. Having the wrong pipe for the build can contribute as well.

If your motor bogs when launching in second with that combo......In my opinion, you have some motor related issues. Your jetting is way off, or your build is fighting itself.

As for responses going all over the place. I think I'm the only one that has ran the same places he's talking about (that has replied). I know the sand/weather conditions, I had similar power, my weight was 220 during that time & I had a short swingarm +8. This paragraph I directed to whom it applies to.

Now, Windy has hit on the other issues going on with this set-up in his last 3 paragraphs.

I hear that. Clutch alone isn't his answer, but part of it. The bog up top is another issue under load. I just don't think changing the whole swinger and any related parts will help fix that. As of now he knows he has traction, and I would imagine taming it will help then allow him to figure out what is going on once the bike is loaded up and bogging.

We have ran Dumont, Glamis & Armagosa Valley with an 8" arm, 14 paddle haulers & 12 paddle extremes, 7mm cub on race gas with a 210 lb. rider. With the proper clutch set-up & gearing it carried the front tire about 6" off the ground. We ran 16/41 sprockets & left in 1st gear.

slower have u ever clocked the mph on this 7 cub at any of these hills with that gearing?

then why bother asking questions when u know everything?

The question was regarding swingarm length and no I don't know everything. The thread is turning into a lot of what if's. I appreciate the feed back but it's not the combo that Kevin built...

then why bother asking questions when u know everything?

The question was regarding swingarm length and no I don't know everything. The thread is turning into a lot of what if's. I appreciate the feed back but it's not the combo that Kevin built...