Please explain the advancing retarding timing thing please??

I keep hearing alot of people saying to retard my timing on my shee to get better performance out of it. I just want to understand what this will do and how it works before i go and think about doing something like this. If anybody has the time to break this down into terms so that a 5 yr old will understand it ...lol...i would really be greatfull. Thanks in advance :shock:

bro u want to advance your timing for better performance . more low end, the only time u wanna retard it is for nos .. u got nos .. naa i didnt think so so retarding it is outta the question.....

if u decide to advance it what type of riding are u doing >drag can go from +6 or more depending on your mods , if u have a play bike +4 is popular timing advance get an adjustable timing plate and go from there .......

reas11 is right for the original question, the banshee is a top-end freak and likes adv timing for more low-end. "Advancing" or moving the timing curve down lower in the rpm range makes more HP available down low and does not affect the top-end. I was sceptical myself before trying it about 1 yr ago on a new '02. Believe me it works, I'm not sure on the exact science, but it has +2hp throught the entire range after this mod.

Hotrod, you will have to experiment and try, most likely you will be fine and need no jetting/fuel changes. It will depend on any porting mainly - I'm running 154psi and +4 or 5 advance and runs great on 92. This is exactically why I started to make adjustable plates for $25 so if you start running hot you can just adj back to 0 advance and your not out a bunch of loot.

Well here is my explaination of advancing and retarding timing:

For proper ignition and power develelopment the timing of the spark has to occur so that the pressure built up in the cylinder by the burning fuel/air mix is optimized as well as complete combustion of the fuel/air mix. Since the fuel and air mix burn at a relatively constant rate, you must advance the timing of the spark as the engine rpm's increase. In otherwords as the piston speeds up, the spark needs to occur sooner to get the fuel and air to burn completely otherwise you won't make power. The banshee igniton has a built in advance curve that adjusts automatically the amount of advance for a given RPM. What you do by using a degree key or adjustable timing plate is change the advance curve by X degrees over the entire RPM range. 4 degrees seems to be the the best for general usage while drag racers typically will use 7. Too much advance can lead to knocking and too little will result in poor performance.

Wheatchex

Actually the stock ignition retards the higher the RPM. When the timing starts to back off, it somehow allows the bike to rev easier (as I was told, exactly how it works...im not sure). I know Forcefed can shed some more light on this subject, if I remember correct he has played w/ some programable ignitions, and could explain much more into detail.

Screamin,

I believe we are saying the same thing it's all in how you define advance and retard. My thoughts are advance means the spark occurs earlier in the crank rotation and retard means later in the crank rotation. As the engine speeds up, the ignition advances the spark relative to the piston travel, ie the piston is lower when the spark occurs at high rpms vs higher at low rpms.

Wheatchex

Yeah you guys are both right.

but in your ignition control box (CDI thingy) is a chip with a timing curve.

for example: (totally random)

with 1500 rpm the cdi will retard timing 5 degrees

2500 rpm advance 5 degrees

4500 rpm advance 10 degrees

5000 rpm retarding 5 degrees every 2000 rpm

i had a graph of this "curve" once.. ill see if i can find it.

now if you advance your timing say with 4 degrees

the timing curve will not be alltered but:

1500 rpm will be 1 degree retard

2500 rpm 9 degrees advanced.

and so on.

this should be it.. i think ;)