87 shee no spark

Well, quad ran fine yesterday. Went out to start today, no spark. Tested my stator, my ign coil, my pickup coil, switched out cdi and coil, nothing worked out there for me. key switch isnt the issue. Known for a fact through the tester. Kinda at a stand still. Stator is oem, and tested perfect. So not quite sure where else to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

that can definitely be it.......blowit (Brandon from mull engineering) just did a write up a couple of days ago about running a separate grounding strap from the motor to the frame.  He has seen bikes do the no start issue due to bad grounds and he seems to really like the grounding straps.

Let me know what you find out, I personally don't think the frame needs to be grounded if all your black wires are intact. And, with the chain,clutch cable,and most aftermarket exhaust, how it wouldn't be grounded anyway. Because is sure isn't meant to make contact through the mounts. But I'm going to do some testing on that myself.

I solved the problem taking a peice of 14 g fencing wire, wrapping it through the frame and touching it to the cylinder, went from no spark to spark. Honestly didnt think it would cause the problem myself, but with bushings and bearings and whatnot I can see why swing arm chain and sprockets would stop the grounding process.

Outstanding :banana:

There are actually a couple great points on both sides of the fence here.  The OP was able to successfully repair the said bike with proper grounding.  Hoppedup above has indicated the frame does not need grounded.  Both are actually right.  Technically the engine has a ground wire, which is black, is 18ga IIRC, and is mounted on one of the stator bolts.  however, that is a pathetic ground and grounds should NEVER go through a socket termination IMO due to corrosion /etc, and the voltage regulator grounds grounds directly to chassis.  These are reasons that the chassis really should have a better ground reference. 

If you look at a more modern battery equipt bike, many will have a couple wires coming off the battery negative.  One goes to the frame, the other to the motor.

Yes, technically, the Banshee is grounded effectively because most anyone that has problems owns older or custom Banshees, however, the fact that it is prevalent enough to keep showing up says it ain't good enough. 

If you refer back to my post on this. a simple dedicated replacement of the entire grounding circuit wiring with bigger wire going right to the motor and frame is preferred. 

I remember people years ago being shocked by their own bikes due to potential (remember that word?) differences from frame and engine.  That is what happens.  I guess I should throw safety in there too that grounding the chassis will also keep you from getting zapped!  lol

EDIT:  I wanted to expand on what I posted previously so as not to misdirect.  I think I sort of tried to incorporate other ATVs and  the Banshee.  The Banshee does have a ground, otherwise the bike would not run.  However, there is no dedicated ground from engine to chassis other than contact through the engine mounts, which is never advised or ideal.  Simply running a ground from engine to chassis can both reduce down time, and protect yourself and electrical components in the chassis.  many things ground to chassis ground and it is just not a good idea.  Copper has roughly 50x more electrical conductivity than steel. 

Brandon

Mull Engineering

• Like 1

Definitely a useful idea, I just tapped into my frame and mounted onto a bolt. I like the shock mount better. Going to relocate. Gotta pull the motor and clean everything first. Doesnt look like its been done since bike was first bought. Thank you all for the help.