Hp and Chasis correlation

kshoulde35

How much hp is too much for a stock frame? For safety and rideability at what point should you consider going to chromoly or a strengthened frame? Also whats the biggest motor you have seen on a stock frame? It was brought up in another topic about the pride in being able to be competitive in a stock frame...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three 18DMs in stock frames. Two are in Banshee frames and one is in a 450r frame.

We ride them harder than anyone else is with that big of a motor and have had no issues.

Here is a video of what we do with them. Both bikes have 18DMs in them.

I love those videos and they seem to handle really well... and it brings me to my next question does the type of riding also play a huge role? how would those same bikes do if run on asphalt with a wheelie bar or 300ft dirt tracks... not times but could you safely make it down the track with that kind of torque on a stock frame?

I love those videos and they seem to handle really well... and it brings me to my next question does the type of riding also play a huge role? how would those same bikes do if run on asphalt with a wheelie bar or 300ft dirt tracks... not times but could you safely make it down the track with that kind of torque on a stock frame?

If a stock frame can make it through what we put them through, there's no reason asphalt would tear them up.

When we come down off those jumps there is a huge load on the motor, suspension and frame itself.. You'll never get that kind of load going down a drag strip.

If a stock frame can make it through what we put them through, there's no reason asphalt would tear them up.

When we come down off those jumps there is a huge load on the motor, suspension and frame itself.. You'll never get that kind of load going down a drag strip.

Thank you for that insight... That question came about as I have heard of guys getting out of the gas on high hp motors on stock frames and the bike throwing them I was wondering if it could at all be from so much twisting of the chasis?

Thank you for that insight... That question came about as I have heard of guys getting out of the gas on high hp motors on stock frames and the bike throwing them I was wondering if it could at all be from so much twisting of the chasis?

The bike throwing riders has nothing to do with the motor or the frame.

There shouldn't be any twisting of the frame in asphalt drag racing.

I can see maybe how I might twist a frame landing off the jumps, but even that is a stretch.

There shouldn't be any twisting of the frame in asphalt drag racing.

I can see maybe how I might twist a frame landing off the jumps, but even that is a stretch.

it will definately have something to do with the setup.

and if you are getting traction and putting out some decent power, there will be a little bit of flexin' goin on.

I would suggest extra motor mounts & solid struts underneath the engine to keep it from moving around in the frame and throwing chains.

I believe one member is running a 10mm DMX in a stock frame on asphalt.

We just installed the 10 DMX in a stock frame. It's going to be ran 1/4 mile asphalt & 300'. We have done both them surfaces & hill shooting with the stock frame & a 443cc Cub.

1st time on asphalt & 300' with the new motor will be the end of Mar. for asphalt & the following week/weekend for 300'.

No, the reason you are getting thrown around is because some goons don't have a fucking clue how to build jumps that flow right.

You hill climbing fellas sure can get nuts and I fucking love watching it.

You ever get out west for some reason, find your self a mountain track sled out and I bet you would be in love with it.

No, the reason you are getting thrown around is because some goons don't have a fucking clue how to build jumps that flow right.

You hill climbing fellas sure can get nuts and I fucking love watching it.

You ever get out west for some reason, find your self a mountain track sled out and I bet you would be in love with it.

Timing of jumps is definitely an issue up north. Those fucking guys have no idea how to build proper jumps. I've mentioned to them several times about getting their heads out of their asses but it falls upon deaf ears.

Throwing chains is simply a motor twisting issue. Not that I ever threw a chain, but before I designed the motor support I would have issues with the chain getting loose as fuck after a run. It was because with that much motor and getting traction off the jumps, it was twisting the motor. The motor support solved that problem and there's never been an issue since then.