Supercharged Banshee?

Paulie B

My turbo bike would spike around 18 at the hit of the nitrous and sustain the 12 pound range down track and I had zero issue with seals. Jordys is spiking a bit higher and sustaining a bit more down track and hes had some crank seal issues. There are remedies for the seal issue that Jordy will be implementing for next year that will solve the seal problems. 

Just like when you were a kid with a bicycle wheel in your hand and you spun it, it would "gyro" (I think this is the proper term) as you moved it back and fourth it was harder  to turn and the wheel the faster you spun it. The same principal applied to the blower, and as you know because you own one they are over driven to crazy RPM inside the case so the blower acts just like your bike wheel did when it was in your hand. In say a sled the affect is somewhat less noticed because of the size/weight of the sled (but it sill affects it) but say on a banshee with a blower that turning a trillion RPMs strapped to a machine that weighs 300 pounds the noticed affect is going to be much more. 

That makes complete sense to me.  As you know I'm still pretty new to the sled scene, but I think that I have been experiencing what you are describing with a super charger creating a gyro effect.

I have found with my sled that the more it is reving and the more track speed I build, the happier it is and the easier it is to ride.  It's as if it just wants to stand up, level out and off you go hauling butt.  In the slow and technical it's a handful and obviously the extra weight has a lot to do with that.  I don't seem to experience this near as much with the mild 2 stroke sleds.

So my question is do you think this gyro effect is largely responsible for this?  Or is it more the nature of the sled that I am on........and my lack of experience. 

I know when I rev up my concrete demo saw with a 14" blade it will try to right itself and create some twist.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes complete sense to me.  As you know I'm still pretty new to the sled scene, but I think that I have been experiencing what you are describing with a super charger creating a gyro effect.

I have found with my sled that the more it is reving and the more track speed I build, the happier it is and the easier it is to ride.  It's as if it just wants to stand up, level out and off you go hauling butt.  In the slow and technical it's a handful and obviously the extra weight has a lot to do with that.  I don't seem to experience this near as much with the mild 2 stroke sleds.

So my question is do you think this gyro effect is largely responsible for this?  Or is it more the nature of the sled that I am on........and my lack of experience. 

I know when I rev up my concrete demo saw with a 14" blade it will try to right itself and create some twist.

Largely? Probably not. An added issue? For sure. First off, these early technology 4 strokes, like the apex, vector, nytro, RX1, are all terribly heavy and that will be the first reason its a pita in the tight stuff, secondly is that they have HORRIBLE chassis geometry and are much more fit to be submarines than sleds, third will be your lack of experience, and somewhere down the list will be the gyro. HOWEVER, what your feeling with the ease of riding when on the throttle is the reason we own these heaps... HP!!!!! The hp will overtake and get the weight transfered, the skis off the ground, and will let you lean and glide your way through the trees and carve up the hill with simple and easy body movements because there is nothing more in the snow than the track. 

good expansion chambers make in excess of 6psi of "boost" all on their own and all basically free.   in my mind  to get a boosted motor do do anything right  you would need a way to keep the charge in the engine  by different port timings OR some type of exhaust blockage..  and then be able to boost higher than a pipe could..  

of course  i'm no expert on this either.  but some things with timing exhaust pulses out of a twin maybe...HMM..

i'd be curious what the things are thats being done to try and control the seals blowing out??  ( yes really  i do listen to your idears and comments N20)

plus more boost = more power = more HEAT....