Nology Coil and Hotwires VS Stock

Z400Banshee

I am rebuilding my 98 banshee motor and was thinking about putting some new wires on it being they are 15 years old. I was going to either put some taylor wires on the stock coil or go with the nology coil and hotwires. Looking for suggestions and was wondering if you guys think the nology is a better setup. Also if I do go with the nology setup would if need to rejet?

Removing the stock coil wires without breaking the plastic retainer is almost impossible. There isn't any place that I know of to buy new retainers.

Here is the best possible chance you have.

Clamp both wires in the vice. Grab the coil and pull carefully while you have someone else gently pry the locking tabs. If they pry too much, they will break off. Once you have the coil wires out, snip off the wires on each side of the retainer. The insulation is in 2 layers. Pull out the copper, then the inner insulation, then carefully pry out the outer insulation. Good luck. Due to heat and age, the retainer is super brittle.

While I've only tried on two coils so far, I personally I don't think it is possible to remove the retaining clips and wires from a relatively used coil without them breaking.  The locking tabs are only half the problem, there is also silicone(or some type of adhesive sealant) down in there and that seems to hold them even after you break or have the tabs pried out.

Once you get them out, broken retainers or not, you have to clean all the goo down around the center electrode prong and then mash, twist, push the new wires till they make contact and go in.    I got a set of the Taylor wires and while they are very nice, without some reasonable retaining system I couldn't see them staying put or keeping connectivity.  I pushed, twisted, jammed, siliconed - gave up.  I could get them to make connectivity but just a wiggle and the ohm meter wouldn't read anything.

I bought the Nology and while I have no run time on it yet, you just crimped GM HEI style terminals on one end of the wires and click snap you're done.  Much nicer so far.

The Nology coil and wires is THE COIL to run.  :headbang:  Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...