play between clutch hub and primary drive gear?

kawa110

I am working on a shee for a freind, it has been about 8 months since i was inside my clutch case on my shee....

I got this other bikes clutch case off and found the shift shaft adjustment washer in bottom of cover, no sign of locknut or stud yet...

I can tell some1 one was literly "PLAYING" in ther.....all bolts and nuts looked as if they used pliers ect...

Can anyone tell me if ther is supposed to be "play" or movement in the primary drive gear between the case and and Clutch hub(clutch basket) and how much movement???  

Freind was complaining about the shift lever not returning and a stiff clutch lever

• 3 weeks later...

I got the basket out of the bike couple days ago...........

The gear has play between it and the basket.....

How do I remove the gear from the basket? Didnt see it in the clymer...

Could just the cushions need replacing?

Most likely. On the back plate grind off the rivots and punch them out. But, I would pick up a billet basket and be done with it. Cause if your needing cushions, it's prob all grooved up

you cannot replace just he cusions on a stock basket unless you are pretty inventive.  ( yes i have done it)  BUT  the billet is the way to go.  grind off the heads, knock them out  remove the gear reinstall with the new billet.   after you get the basket it should be pretty easy to tell how it works.   the clymer wont show aftermarket parts  they a re only for OEM repairs and replacement.

One other possibility.... I have had magnum baskets that the bosses for the bolts needed a touch of machining. I mounted 3 sets of gears on it and fresh cushions and still had slop. So I put a piece of 80 grit on my granite bench top and ran the figure 8 pattern to get through the hard annodizing. Then hit it with 220 grit till I pulled .025 off it. Slapped my gears on it again and it was nice and tight

Order new hub

grind off the rivets.....

knock the gear off....
the new basket should come with new mounting bolts for gear correct?

The smaller straight cut gear will stay attatched to the drive gear?

Should the copper thrust bearing slide right out?(thise one seems to be stuck)

put all back together and ride it......

Order new hub

grind off the rivets.....

knock the gear off....

the new basket should come with new mounting bolts for gear correct?

The smaller straight cut gear will stay attatched to the drive gear?

Should the copper thrust bearing slide right out?(thise one seems to be stuck)

put all back together and ride it......

yes to everything except the last one. Are you talking about the sleeve with the divots in it?