Launch technique

trickedcarbine

A big tip.... Dont set up and rely on your fastest 60ft run times on dirt. use those runs as a starting point to get a feel for the bike.

I agree!

It takes testing with everthing mentioned & some things that have not been brought up. They need to be tailored for your specific application.

We use or programmable ignition also to help with our reaction times & 60's. ;)

You need traction first then sit on the tank. My mud tires get so much traction that I HAVE to sit on the tank or it will wheelie and you have to get out of it.

Without sitting on tank:

Sitting on tank:

Are you handle bars bent? Your bike not go straight? Or is it just the way the video looks?

Thanks for the comments fellas.

As far as hose starting gate clamp devices, they do work. At least the ones I had for an old KX 125 that I raced as a kid. They seem to help with the weight transfer issues some set ups can have, but I'm not sure that is something i have any problem with after switching to the -2 swinger. The bike literally became a new animal after that. Definitely got it to the point where I no longer need to let off much if at all, and I think a little more work on the rear shock set up will help

Edited by trickedcarbine

• 2 weeks later...

build a bigger motor.

drag atv's suspension, clutch, frame, and overall setup is going to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYY differnt than a TT or mx or flat track atv.

from my mx atv days.  use air pressure to help with your starts.  use body english and learn to not SIT on the seat on the launch or the tanks  try to hold yourself up on the pegs and just barely touch the tank or the front of the seat.  use the clutch lever to control your power to the ground  also  think in your head of a ski jumper flying off a jump  and how they lean up into the wind.  you want to try and do this kind of stance  it seems funky  and no  i dont mean to ly all the way over the front of the atv  just think of it like this.  use your knees to grip the sides of the tank and hold on  when you are acceperating and even during the race try to make the bike push you through your legs instead of you holding on with your arms  try to envision yourself as if your weight is in your footpegs instead of the seat or the bars your center of gravity will be where the most weight is.  ...   again  hard to explain  and also  practice practice practice.. that alone will make your starts much more consistant and will absolutley result in better holeshot and performance overall.    also if there is a class where you run at  go watch the pro motorcycle guys  you will see this lean forward stance a lot in their racing.  its part of mx riding training..  i raced an atv for over  years.  it was a lot of fun  and i think helped me in the drag area i am in now.  most drag strips are preped to have maximum traciont  ounlike atv/mx launch area that are mostly crap and have horrible traction or varying traction in differnt area's..   most of the tracks when i was racing were either tilled up so hardcore they were like racing over boulders OR so hard packed adn dry it was like trying to race in wet grass..  

if you have riding and launching habits that are bad  its going to be very hard to break them without practice.  if you can  next time you practie ride  JUST work on starts for a few hours  give the bike and clutch some cool down time  but work on the starts a lot  try differnt things and USE your clutch to control your wheelies.  yes  it is faster.

• 2 weeks later...

it will feel weird untill you retrain your self..  

i used these video's a lot back in the days  we had them on vhs.  some of the info you cannot really do on an atv.  but for big leaps in your riding skill's they can teach you a shit ton.  if you watch some of them or find them you can use what you can for atv riding.  

i always liked the therories behind this style of riding  mcgrath was one of the first to utilize these techniques for maximixing tire to ground time to make you way faster in mx/ supercross racing..

some of these types of video's i have found at local libraries  most were the first volume.  almost all the techniques are the same  just old ass bikes and 80's neon gear he he...   there is a video on starting techniques and clutch control.