best suspension for ice

mhoksch

SO from looking at the CRIWA site, the only class I'd be able to enter is the "Open" Amateur Quad right? Also been reading thru the rules on there, how strict are they on the db level?

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row right now, once it gets closer to freezing I'm sure I'lll have tons more questions about dialing in the suspension and everything.

And off the topic of ice, since you all seem to be way up in the northwoods. Do you trail ride at all in the summer? I've been taking a few trips up to the Hurley area and love it up there.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a 4mil stroker then yes, you can only run the "open amateur" class. You could also run Open GP studded but that is left/right hand turns.

As far as db level is concerned, they will test you at multiple points in the season to make sure you pass. I believe the first weekend is a "freebie" if you are close to the db limit and if you are new.

I haven't trail ridden in a few years but yeah, Hurley is AWESOME! We used to go there twice a year and camp and ride.

If your thinking of CW check out the ever barring 2 stroke rule #33. This is the limits that shees are under.

It can not be bored over .12" or 3.04mm. If your stroked your displacement can not exceed the displacement of a stock stroke motor that is bore the max over. .120".

If you calculate this out that means that no matter what a banshee CAN NOT EXCEED 381cc!!

So in other words if you have a 4mil than you can only be bored .02 over.

As for db I wouldnt be worried to much. On saturdays we get teched every weekend at the highest ive ever reached is 93 but usually Im around 89. Its more the four pokes that their worried about. We scream they roar lol

But the same with me. I havent ridden on anything but ice in the past four years but I hear nothing but good things about the "northwoods". As well Id check out the UP there is endless miles of trail riding.

Yeah theres not a whole lot dirt tracking. There is one outside of Wausau called Monster Hall I believe. And idk if theirs one near Colby or not either. I think this one is called Central Wisconsin Speedway and the other is Central Wisconsin Raceway.

But just speaking on my behalf, No I do not. I ride 16 times a year at best. Saturdays and Sundays in Jan and Feb other than that the shee stays under its cover in the corner of the shop. To be honest my shee has never touched anything but a frozen lake and the shop floor. Idk if Ryder does at all but I know his bro races EDT which is a national circuit for TT over the summer.

Yes, Dustin races the pro class in the EDT nationals over the summer. Since I'm in school, I miss the early and late races but travel with him during the summer months. We both motocross our dirtbikes in the summer as well. We used to motocross our quads but went back to bikes since it was cheaper than having 2 setups for the one quad.

The hybrid we built (yfz chassis, trx motor), took Dustin to 5th overall in the Pro-Am class (which all the pro's run in addition to the Pro class itself) at EDT nationals in 2011 (after missing the first 2 of 8 rounds even!) and that got him his Pro license. That was also Dustin's FIRST year riding dirt flat track.

But after looking at your profile mhoksch i see that you have a 4 mil and Ryder mentioned a 4 mil as well so I think the both of you would be a perfect fit to race each other in open pro. :D

Id leave amateur open to us stock guys lol

ha, right. lump the newbie in with your "ice god". That's jsut doesn't seem like much fun to me. Although it would be a good learning experience.

Either of you ever have any work done by Passion? Was looking at them for my porting since they seem to be about the only ones not specializing in dune/drag setups. I've got pretty much everything but pistons and a head sitting in my basement waiting to be built. Then I'm trying to find another frame and build a second shee using my existing motor. Hopefully I can talk my gf into riding with me

I plan on building myself. Just looking for someone to do porting and cut domes for me. My girlfriend doesn't know it yet, but I'm planning on building my next banshee in the basement. I'll just wait to put arms and axle on until I carry it up to the garage ;)

Porting? Whats porting? :rotflmao:

Haha and im not trying to scare ya off I just see the his bros quad and all i see is $$$$$$$$$$ and thats on a 4 poke and I know how far that same amount of money can get you with a 2 stroke :drool:

Well if $$ is all it takes, give me a season or 2 and I'll probably be right up there with him ;) just got my dream job in Jan and bought my current shee (i made the worst decision of my life and got rid of my first one 8 yrs ago).

Do you guys know of anyone who might have an extra frame lying around that they'd like to sell? It'd be cool to have a roller rdy to drop my new motor into once I get it built instead of using my beat up old frame.

ya, i've got piles of spare parts lying around. Just need the frame to really get started on a new build. I just don't want to tear my current bike apart yet since this is my fav time of year for trail riding, but I really want to have something nice setup before we get ice.

does anyone here scale the quad before the go out on the ice i know when i switching form a clay to lime stone i scale my quad and re set my sway bar to have more or less bite to my right rear wheel

my quads set very stiff with about 3 1/4" of travle and 5 1/4 in the front

iv never raced my banshee on ice or ridin it if that

but i wonder if getting your hands on a set of scales would help you understand witch way your setup is going when your tunnning it

there priced a little high in cananda but im sure you could find them cheaper in the states

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-67650-Race-Car-Computer-Scale-Scales-System-/190718683675?hash=item2c67b82a1b&item=190718683675&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

now i just use my buddys and if you know anyone racing dirt track cars they usually have some or a local shop might have a set

Richard Pelchat has only been racing on the ice since 2010...He also races on extremely long tracks (5/8 mile) which means the corners are going to be huge and the need for a sway-bar very small. All you need there is a powerful motor.

A rider can accomplish anything a sway-bar will get him simply by moving his body around, but it is twice as much work on the body and you have to do it consistently every lap. Running a sway bar just makes it easier.