Symptoms of bad reeds

I am just wondering if anyone has suggestions on symptoms of bad reeds. I have a 4 mill 421 cub that has a HJR aggressive port job. MY current setup is 5.5 Timing, VF3 reeds, 19cc domes, 35pwk carbs, 152 main, 48 pilot jet, cel needle in 4th clip from top. MY tires are 22.11.8 10 paddle extreams and my gearing is a 13/41 and I ride at sea level. I notice that I had a bog when I try to launch in 2nd when I used to be able to all day long. I figured a 93 hp cub would have no problems launching in second. The only thing I can thing of is bad reeds or my cel needle is to rich or my pilot is to lean? . If I change my needle leaner would it be smart to change to a richer main Jet. It just seemed like it runs a little rich before the power band and once I hit the power band the bike would run like a cub. Fast! dose any one run a leaner needle in there 35 pwks?

I just changed mine. I was dickin around with jetting for a month fighting rich condition. Had no power thru the midrange and little power at top end. Put a set of power reeds on and OMG, hang on. BTW the old reeds looked good but obviously they were bad. Check ebay, got mine for half price.

I just took them off and the first thing I noticed is when I looked through the intake I saw daylight between the petals and the cage. If I am correct, you shouldn't be able to see daylight between the petals and cage? this means I might need to replace the reeds but not sure? I didn't really see any cracks what they did have signs of wear on them.

I just took them off and the first thing I noticed is when I looked through the intake I saw daylight between the petals and the cage. If I am correct, you shouldn't be able to see daylight between the petals and cage? this means I might need to replace the reeds but not sure? I didn't really see any cracks what they did have signs of wear on them.

Yes they need to be replaced! The reeds should lay tight against the cage!

If your reeds don't say "V-force" on the side....that's the #1 sign that your reeds are bad. :lol:

im curious to the out come of this. My cub did the same thing to me on saturday. I had taken it to the track 3 weeks earlier and had not a single problem. I was unable to launch the damn thing. Had to double clutch a couple times to get it to go. But as soon as it got into the top end, it ran normal. but it took 60ft to get to the point were the damn thing would go. I read this and pulled my reeds as well.(VF3's) I do have daylight between the cage and the center sets of reeds. The same for both sets. I did go thru and check for crap in my jets and the typical stuff. im just having a hard time believing that the little air gap that i have just appeared and is causing all these problems at once. Thoughts??

(421 cub, D&M Hillshooter/Drag port, 38mm airstrikers, vf3's, 188 main, 60 pilot, 7* timing, 20cc domes, 21x12x8 10pdl sls, 15-41)

im curious to the out come of this. My cub did the same thing to me on saturday. I had taken it to the track 3 weeks earlier and had not a single problem. I was unable to launch the damn thing. Had to double clutch a couple times to get it to go. But as soon as it got into the top end, it ran normal. but it took 60ft to get to the point were the damn thing would go. I read this and pulled my reeds as well.(VF3's) I do have daylight between the cage and the center sets of reeds. The same for both sets. I did go thru and check for crap in my jets and the typical stuff. im just having a hard time believing that the little air gap that i have just appeared and is causing all these problems at once. Thoughts??

(421 cub, D&M Hillshooter/Drag port, 38mm airstrikers, vf3's, 188 main, 60 pilot, 7* timing, 20cc domes, 21x12x8 10pdl sls, 15-41)

I get some new VF3's in the mail tomorrow. It will be a few weeks before I get to try it out. I will let you know of the outcome. I am kind of having a hard time believing as well. We will see tho.

• 2 months later...

somebody yell at me if im wrong but wont the reeds flutter if the tension is too low ....ive heard you can flip them over 1 time then next time replace them but i personally think reeds are cheap insurance lol

Yes, I have had people tell me to flip them over but make sure there is no cracks or chips in the pedal. While I was on a week long trip in Oregon I actually had to do this and was in a pinch. Seemed to work just fine, and it saves a little cash. I did buy another set of pedals when I got home though.