Can pistons be ported?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Zilla said....you can open up the windows on the pistons....normally u only want to open up the outside's of the windows though.

Do get to hogging on them as the less material on the piston skirt in that area will make them alot weaker and not last no where near as long as they should....plus

if one breaks off ur gonna be replacing alot of parts internally.

Depending on what i am working with i usually go up .020, down .020 and over .040-.060 over "have gone farther then that before" i never mess with the middle between the windows.

The primary reason for the piston windows is case-volume filling and to get lubrication to the wrist-pin. You will see maybe 1-2hp by port-matching the pistons, but not much. Not worth the added chance of a skirt cracking and breaking off into your crank. Hell, the pistons I run don't even have the port windows....

The primary reason for the piston windows is case-volume filling and to get lubrication to the wrist-pin. You will see maybe 1-2hp by port-matching the pistons, but not much. Not worth the added chance of a skirt cracking and breaking off into your crank. Hell, the pistons I run don't even have the port windows....

Sounds like I'm gonna leave them alone. I have done a ton or porting on the cylinders. I spent 6-7 hours on them. They look nice now. They are ready for a bore and hone and some new slugs. I just might have the engine running this year yet.

Sounds like I'm gonna leave them alone. I have done a ton or porting on the cylinders. I spent 6-7 hours on them. They look nice now. They are ready for a bore and hone and some new slugs. I just might have the engine running this year yet.

Oh this should be an awesome thread. Let us know how it runs :jesterlaugh:

I did my own porting on my girlfriends bike.

Never again!! It was the hardest, and most time consuming thing I have done. I only did the intake and touched up the transfers. I didn't touch the exhaust or raise any ports. I don't know how port timings work, so that's why I didn't do any of that. And that is where the power is. Just opening up everything doesn't help much. I would also imagine that if the timings are off you would have a very inefficient engine.

My girlfriends bike does run awesome. It helped the bike respond a lot better. I also matched the cases to the jugs. But like I said, there is so much more then just hacking away at some aluminum.

IMG_20120519_021818.jpg

IMG_20120519_021914.jpg

It took about 8 hours. I felt so accomplished when I finished one, but realized that was half the battle. Now the next one has to match.

I'm not claiming to know anything. But I have been a mechanic for a long time. I have done several ports jobs on auto's. I'm sure what I did is going to greatly effect flow. I opened up the port windows and smoothed everything out. I opened up the exhuast port to the sides. I added boysen ports and then I reshaped the bottom of the transfer ports. I look at it like water flowing. The easier the flow more power you will make. If you guys want to go on and rant and rave about how I'm doing my own port job, go for it! Won't bother me any.

Everybody is busting your balls because we've all done it. It's surprising how much difference it doesn't make. I'm sure it's pretty, my first one was too. Wait till you line up next to a bike that's been ported by somebody that knows what the hell they're doin. You'll understand why we are givin you shit then.

Porting a 2 cycle is different than a 4 cycle. Crap with valves just needs to flow. Flow is important on this junk we've got but the real powermaker is getting the timing right so you can cram that extra go juice in the cylinder.