SIGH. Oil In Cylinders, Will This Harm Anything At Startup?

After I had my engine rebuilt and ported, I had poured about a quart or more of regular motor oil down into both cylinders from the reed ports. I did this so that I could keep it lubricated until I was ready to install the engine back into my frame. Well, I finally got it in and ready to start it up. So I remove the drain plug (expecting all of the oil from the cylinders to exit out) and saw that nothing came out. So my question is, what do I do now with all of the oil that is still sitting in the cylinders? I thought that this oil would just drain out the drain plug when I was ready to start it, but obviously I was wrong being that nothing is coming out. So, if I do start it up, will this oil be of any harm? Will it just exit out the exhaust? Will it eventually trickle down into my tranny oil? Or do I have a major issue now to worry about? Any help or advise on this one would be GREATLY appreciated, THANKS!!!!!

take the motor out and dump that shit out.its a 2 stroke not a 4,the drain plug is for the transmission

Yea I know it not a 4-stroke its just that I had an extra quart of regular oil sitting around. I just used it to prevent against rust on the cylinders.

Thanks.

Wow, looks like I really screwed up here on this one. This really stinks because it is all put back together and ready to start up right now after years of it being down. I cant believe this. Theres got to be an easier way then removing the engine to resolve this issue right? I am sort of tired of working on it at this point and will take a shortcut if I can find one. I'm all ears if anyone has a shortcut here for this one. Thanks.

SIGH!

Edited by bansh_88

It's hard telling where all that oil got in the cylinders. Chances are it's in the intakes, exhaust and possibly down in the crank case. Pulling the motor is the only way you will be able to get most of the oil out properly. If you want to take a shortcut and risk tearing up the motor, I guess that's on you.

Unfortunately the lowest open point on the crank side is the intake. If it were me i would pull the motor, drain the tranny (it would leak from the vents), pull the carbs, reeds and spark plugs and then completely invert the motor so it drains out of the plug holes. I would leave it to drain for a couple days at least.

Even then, you're still probably going to oil foul your plugs for some days.

About the only thing I can suggest is if you have a vacuum brake bleeding tool ( hand pump with PVC hose and the gravity feed cup ) is remove your intakes and pull the reed cages and use it to suck the oil out . If you put a quart in , keep working onnit until you have a quart out .

If I pull both exhaust pipes off, and lean the quad in a position so that the exhaust ports are straight down for a few days, will this get most of it out? If I have to pull the motor, I am putting it out in the shed for a few years as I am just that sick of working on it already. Will angling the quad forwards with the exhaust ports facing down for a few days get most of the oil out where I wont have to worry about trashing the engine? Its either that or it goes in the shed. Thanks.

Edited by bansh_88

Nope, most of the oil would never make it out of the crank area unless that motor is upside down. And don't even consider starting it with oil in there, you'd in all likelihood blow out your crank seals before the bike even started (which, of course because the fog path is blocked by motor oil, it won't anyway).

This doesn't sound like a problem worthy of giving up on it - frustrating, sure, but only a few hours of actual work. Why not just accept that you learned an annoying lesson, do the work and then spend next weekend rocketing around on your newly rebuilt bamshee?

Just my $.02.