recomended fuel octane

ok just wanting peoples opinion on what type/octane fuel to run here is my set up.... hot rods long rod crank, new wiseco 795 series pistons, +4 on timing, milled/shaved head (not rechambered), TDR carbon fiber reeds, FMF gold series fattys, power core 2 silencers...not sure of elevation i know above sea level (southern Indiana)...stock carbs currently with stock pilots (i think), and currently have 340 mains.... i have not ran the motor yet waiting on my cylinders to get bored.... i will also take any suggestions on the timing and jetting that i can get also....thanks guys

what i was thinking of was mixing 91-93 octane with 110 race fuel at a 50/50 ratio bring it down to around 100 octane range.... plus i REALLY like the smell of race gas..lol

you can use 93 octane and 10% Xylene, which will bump it up a few points. It's cheaper than race gas. I used to use it in my supercharged mustang.

You can use 91/93 up to about 145-155 psi and +2timimng.

Then ask your builder.

as of right now i have it set at +4 timing... i will check the compression when i get the top end back on... would be sooner but i ordered the wrong diameter pistons banghead , i am the one building it...

I said +2 because that's what I run. I will turn it up after break in and leak down and plug chop to insure that if I do get detonation that I know every thing else good. If I do get an air leak down the road and I'm running +4 I might be worried that I wouldn't shut it down befor hurting the engine. So take it slow when your the builder.

Mixing xylene or toluene with gas falls into the hillbilly homebrew catagory. Possible unpredictable results and damage to your motor. Check your compression to determine your octane needs. Then go with straight 93, 50/50 of 93 and race gas, or straight race gas.

People have been using Xylene for years and years. It has the same properties as regular conventional gasoline. I have NEVER heard of xylene causing damage to an engine. I have used it myself, without any problems for years. Same goes for many other drag racers. :headbang: