Earlier Models = 48 Horsepower?! Per DirtWheels.

bansh_88

I was just reading through some late 80's DirtWheels magazines and came across some interesting horsepower specs on the 87 and 88 banshee. Per both late 80's original articles that I read, DirtWheels stated that the banshees were putting out 48 horsepower bone stock. Reading through recent articles, I see that the banshees are rated at around 36/37 horsepower. So did Yamaha detune the banshee motors since the late 80's? Or are the numbers different due to a different manner of measuring horsepower? Thanks!

Edited by bansh_88

Dirtwheels is a buncha douchebags that dont know crap about bikes in general and definately not the banshee and I would NEVER use any spec they post as a fact. They will post different wheelbases on quads in two consecutive issues. They definately dont even try to be accurate.

ya in 1987 they detuned the banshee. you have to find either a 85 or 86 banshee to get the more powerful engine. but it is super hard as these are very rare. yamaha bought most of them back and destoryed them as they were way to fast for the common person to own.

So there were 85 & 86 banshee models that yamaha bought back and destroyed? Never knew that!!! That is very interesting!!

So, from what I am gathering here, either 1) the mags are full of bunk, or 2) they measure hp different now, or 3) the models after 88 are detuned. This one is really sparking my curiosity like crazy!! :)

• 10 years later...

yeah i always say how do you want a banshee engine to make less hp? it is the same engine same crank same cylinder same piston.. yet it says it makes 48hp my ass yes, i think they did a power test with a stock 1987 and didnt think about the difference of sprocket gearing with then big 22" rear tyres, gotta remember 1987 and 1988 have 13-40 gearing while later models have 14-41 so if you do both with same tyres (for a dyno they probably do put a set of street tyres on) u get less hp out of the 13 teeth banshee cause it will make less RPMS then a 14 teeth banshee and on a dyno RPMS = POWER